Battlefront II Ghosting/Bloom Fix?
The issue:
[Image: QfyCn6c.jpg]

GS Config:
[Image: ThGyLjr.png]

HW Hacks:
[Image: hjaEkVg.png]

Log:

.txt   Battlefront II Log.txt (Size: 10,12 KB / Downloads: 40)

I've seen this issue occur in a number of games, but never to this degree. Usually in games like Ratchet: Deadlocked or Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, this issue can be corrected by playing around with the GS Hardware Hacks and enacting a Sprite Merge with a Half-Pixel Offset or something similar.

That said, those games usually only have a single artifact where the image separates/ghosts. As you can see from my screenshot, the image splits into 3 ghosts regardless of any movement. There are actually 4 ghosts, but the Half-Pixel Offset: Normal (Vertex) aligns 1 ghost with the rest of the image, so it only looks like 3. As others have tried, Sprite Merge/Align and Auto Flush do nothing to mitigate the other 3 ghosts.

Here are other scenarios I've tested which replicate the same issue:
  • Latest PCSX2 x32 Stable or x64 Nightly
  • Render API agnostic (D3D11/12, OpenGL, Vulkan or Software)
  • Cheats or no cheats
  • Render resolution/ratio agnostic (From PS2 Native 480 4:3 to 6x 2160 16:9)
  • A myriad of different configs I've not taken the time to properly document
I've read elsewhere that this is supposedly an archaic "bloom" effect present in the original release that has been made to look worse by rendering at a higher resolution than native. The issue is still present at native resolution 4:3, albeit much less noticeable. I've seen others articulate this issue over the years to no avail. Is there any possible fix for this issue? This is my first time posting here, so please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.

Sponsored links

ps2 native still gives ghosting ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-28-2023, 08:42 PM)jesalvein Wrote: ps2 native still gives ghosting ?

Yes.

[Image: tNSOhIE.png]

It's a bit more difficult to perceive due to the lower resolution, but the artifacts are very clearly still there.
same in software mode ?
(07-28-2023, 10:14 PM)jesalvein Wrote: same in software mode ?

Software 3D renderers on the stable release? or the software renderer on the nightly release?

Edit:
Tested the Stable release with OpenGL and D3D11 software renders. This was the product. Ghosting is still evident, it just gets clouded due to the loss of information. I will update this comment after I test the Nightly release's software render.
[Image: MS4OavZ.png]

Edit 2:
Same effect as the stable release. Widescreen patch is applied to the above image, which is what is modifying the UI and compressing the gameplay. Regardless, the effect is still present.
[Image: noxzny8.png]
I wonder if that effect isn't supposed to be here...
What if you try on your PS2 ?
(07-29-2023, 04:04 PM)jesalvein Wrote: I wonder if that effect isn't supposed to be here...
What if you try on your PS2 ?

I don't own a PS2 anymore. That's why I use an emulator lol.
Using a BIOS file with PCSX2 which you have downloaded from the internet or from a PS2 console you do not own is illegal. You must own the console the BIOS file came from (even if it's broken) to be legal.

Our forum does not tolerate any kind of warez talk / discussion / links and no support will be given as such.
Read our rules,specifically rule #1. Thread closed.

You may appeal this decision by proving that you own the item in question and disposing of any pirated copies. Staff will want to see some visual proof that you own the item (E.g. A picture of the item with your forum username and the current date on a sticky note next to it).