Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been a long time since I've asked - OpenGL or DX11?
It's been a really long time since I've asked I think, I can't find recent threads on it either. Is DirectX still preferred over OpenGL? I know it was way back in the day. But I also know that Dolphin prefers OGL.

I'm intending to do recording ya see, so I want all the graphics emulated, but at the fastest rate possible because I'm recording at the same time.

The way I'm running it is custom res - 1920x1080, and that's all the custom settings I've got, if that's relevant. And Windows 8.1

By the way, nice new site design. You guys had the same one for like 7 years, haha.
[Image: signat11.jpg]

My Guide to PCSX2 for Windows (outdated, but still generally accurate)

Sponsored links

As you have an Nvidia card, you will probably be better off with OpenGL these days, it is much more compatible and speed is similar (possibly slightly slower, but not by much)
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Yeah I've noticed. It used to be that OGL was WAY slower than DX11. Nowadays, doesn't seems so, and I've been using it way more because it fixes a lot of problems I've had with DX effects processing.

My NVIDIA card is pretty dated. I've been meaning to upgrade. I actually had to downgrade to a 560m because my 580m finally broke.

Tired of laptops, getting a desktop next.

Thanks for the advice!

Hmm, I think I found what's causing my crashes.

"XAudio2 Unloaded" or something of that sort.

I'll change the latency back to 100 (I had it at 50) and if it persists I'll change to portaudio I guess. Maybe it's kinda silly to be using DX Audio alongside OGL or something?

Oh, and that revision had no DL so I just downloaded the next one that could be DLed (which was quite a few revisions back).

You can use DX Audio if you want, the latency in PortAudio is superior to every other option however. But yes, that XAudio2 problem is along standing bug we've had, Dolphin had the same issue.
In that case I'm changing back to Portaudio. It's just that XAudio2 is still marked as "Recommended" while Portaudio is simply laebled "crossplatform" so that's why I changed.

Thanks for the help Refraction.

Edit: By the way, what does "Blending Unit" do exactly? I can't really see a difference between None and Ultra on this. Same with HW OGL Depth and Accurate Date. It seems I can use them without any problems but what do they do, since I'm not really seeing any differences at first glance. The only option that causes serious lag is FXAA and I don't like FXAA since it's logic is essentially "let's get rid of aliasing simply by blurring everything". Searching Google for those right now.

Blending unit is used for games which have vertical colour stripes or colour overlays. If your game doesn't suffer from it, best keep it off for speed Smile
Alright. Does HW Depth increase or decrease speed?

Any additional feature will decrease speed, but again that is for games with strange overlays, more so for the games with solid colour overlays