Beginner in need of help
Hey, i have some questions. Namelly the very first one. How do i make this thing work??

I don't understand what they want from BIOS, and yes i read your guide. But from what i understand i need to do something from a PS2. The thing is that my PS2 broke a long time ago and i didn't bothered fixing it since PS3 came out. But now i wanna play some of my ps2 games. So I no longer have the PS2 but i have the games. Can't I just put the dvd in and play?

PS1 emulator was like that. And can't I do the same? If i need to get a PS2 again then why bother using a emulator. I need to know if i can just play with the dvd or do i need a PS2.

Sponsored links

Quote:I don't understand what they want from BIOS, and yes i read your guide.
Read it again.

Quote:Can't I just put the dvd in and play?

No.

Quote:PS1 emulator was like that

no it wasn't.
Mine was.

And reading the same phrases 1000 times won't fix it. I don't understand.
Squall: There are a couple PS1 emulators that do emulate the PS1 bios (usually listed as BIOS HLE) and thus don't require one, though can use one optionally because it has higher compatibility.

SirRob: The PS2 BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is very complex and hasn't been reverse engineered, at least not enough to be in a usable state for any games... Therefore you need to have an original BIOS from a PS2 you actually own. There is no way around it. PS1 emulators were the same way for a large portion of their existence and that may be true too of the PS2 some point way in the future.
[Image: 2748844.png]
The PS1 emulator that i use i just insert cd in drive and then i click run CDROM and plays the game. Simple as that.

I guess for me to play PS2 games i need to get a PS2.

Thanks.
I don't know how it exactly works to extract a bios (Got the bios from a friend's old PS2, since he never plays it again and he was planning to throw away) But how broken is your old PS2?? Not entirely sure what the PS2 needs to do for it being able to extract the bios Smile (Mods if about what I'm talking about is well kinda illegal, I'm sorry, but I'm only trying to think with the Post Starter)
(09-12-2011, 12:23 AM)SirRob Wrote: The PS1 emulator that i use i just insert cd in drive and then i click run CDROM and plays the game. Simple as that.

I guess for me to play PS2 games i need to get a PS2.

Thanks.

be sure you got the modded ps2(w/ a mod chip on it)you be able to use ELF application(LauncherELF) to extract it's bios and extract saves from the real memory card.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(09-12-2011, 12:19 AM)Koji Wrote: Squall: There are a couple PS1 emulators that do emulate the PS1 bios (usually listed as BIOS HLE) and thus don't require one, though can use one optionally because it has higher compatibility.

There was a version of PCSX that had a HLE bios, however this could only boot a handful of games at best.
(09-12-2011, 03:37 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: There was a version of PCSX that had a HLE bios, however this could only boot a handful of games at best.

I believe the emulator in question (regarding PS1 titles) is psX. It doesn't offer much in terms of frills like ePSXe and PCSX, but is popular because it "just works" and tends to accurately emulate the games in a similar state to the original.

Personally I prefer ePSXe with it's texture filters and all, since as much as I love the old games, nostalgia goggles only work so well. Same reason I rip my discs to ISO, after all. Playing from the old disc may have nostalgia factor, but converting over to HDD means faster loading and better overall paly (especially for my personal favorite, Legend of Dragoon).

OP: There's no PS2 emulator that does this, and without bios emulation, the actual PS2 bios file is required to run games on the emulator. The process to get these files from the system is a bit complicated, primarily because it requires owning a modded PS2 and extracting the file from the actual console.

I'll be honest, I can't help with the extraction process. I've had my bios files for years and copy them to every HDD I own just in case so I don't lose them at this point. I don't remember the exact process to do it (and I had a lot more time on my hands in my late teens and early twenties to do this stuff, heh). There is info online on how to do it, I'm sure, though.
AMD Phenom II 965BE @ 3.4Ghz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit
Quote:I believe the emulator in question (regarding PS1 titles) is psX. It doesn't offer much in terms of frills like ePSXe and PCSX, but is popular because it "just works" and tends to accurately emulate the games in a similar state to the original.

no it is not. psxfin requires a bios.

pcsx's hle bios causes problems in FF9, Chrono Cross, and many others.