Best Settings for Persona 4
(Sorry about the post in the older thread, thought it would be best to post on topic and the topic already existed.)

I am trying to play Persona 4. I don't know what it is like on the original PS2, but when characters move, and sometimes when they stand still, there is a subtle "Shadow" effect, as if the character model is transparent but placed slightly elsewhere. Also, when the screen scrolls, things tend to become blurry.

I have no frame rate issues, everything is running at 60 fps. I am running no hacks and everything is the default except for the special SuperVU hack for Persona games. (I don't know if this was needed, but since it said for persona games, I am using it.) Any idea on how to fix either the blurry scrolling or character after-shadow issue?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

I don't have this game, but
Quote:I am trying to play Persona 4. I don't know what it is like on the original PS2, but when characters move, and sometimes when they stand still, there is a subtle "Shadow" effect,
can't you just pop it in your PS2 and launch the game to compare ? looks like a wanted effect to me.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Can't try it on my ps2, it's buried and not accessible to me.

I don't think it is an intentional thing. It looks almost like ghosting, and it wasn't in Persona 3, which I did play on my ps2.

I am running 1.21 in case that helps.

Here are some more shots. Mostly only moving things suffer from the effect. But some stationary objects have it as well, as if another model has been super-imposed but displaced by a tiny bit.

In the first screenshot the character in the bottom right is moving, in the second two characters in the middle are walking off toward the bottom of the screen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

skipdraw hack set to 1 may help.
tried texture filtering too ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I'm pretty new to psxc2 - where is the skip draw hack located?

I tried texture filtering on and off, and it had did not influence the "ghosting."
Normally you don't need to apply manual gamefixes. If they are needed they will be applied automatically. I would try switching it off. Also you probably use microVU instead of superVU which makes this fix reasonless.

You can find skipdraw under gsdx plugin settings:
1. make sure you selected an hardware renderer (eg. Direct3D11(hardware))
2. Enable tickbox "Use HW hacks" (or similar)
3. Click on configure next to it.
4. Set skipdraw to 1, 2, 3... to see if that effect disappears
you could also try it in software mode.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(02-16-2015, 07:23 AM)hardcode Wrote: I am running no hacks and everything is the default except for the special SuperVU hack for Persona games. (I don't know if this was needed, but since it said for persona games, I am using it.) Any idea on how to fix either the blurry scrolling or character after-shadow issue?

Do you select superVU Recompiler in the VUs page? By the way, don't use it and use microVU Recompiler and try again. Don't use VU Clip Flag Hack.
yeah, use the VU clip flag hack only if you are using SuperVU recompiler , it provides no benefit if, you are using it while using Micro VU recompiler.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Thanks for all of the help so far!

I didn't have the SuperVU recompiler enabled (since it isn't a default setting). I unclicked Enable Game Fixes after unclicking the VP Flag Hack for Persona Games, so I think no game fixes are running.

I will try software mode next after attempting the skip draw fix.