Best build until now
Hey guys, I have been testing many builds until now, with a notebook with intel i5 2450m, geforce gt630m, 6gb ram and using Windows 7 SP1, with nvidia driver v347.88 + MSI AfterBurner and I think I discovered the best build until now of pcsx2... at least for my machine. You can search for it in the full git development list (the one with the black background and the complete list enabled). The version is v1.3.1-58-g5ed3f5f. (http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.p...indows-x86)

The list: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=fulllist

The games that I used to decide which build performed better was Shadow Hearts (I was having some hard slowdowns in some points of the game... cinematics in 3d and in some maps while in exploration mode) and Rogue Galaxy. While almost every build had a hard time with Rogue Galaxy, this one managed to keep a constant 60fps with a decent video quality. I was almost giving up RG.

Would be nice if someone with a humble machine like me experiencing the same kind of problems tested the build trying to get the same results. I'll spread the word between my friends if more people notice the same results as I did.

Sponsored links

That's a really old build, explain why you thinks it's the best one, what does that build offer the newer ones don't?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-28-2015, 01:36 AM)refraction Wrote: That's a really old build, explain why you thinks it's the best one, what does that build offer the newer ones don't?

Stable performance. I really tried many GS presets. I tried manually setting hacks to improve performance in Rogue Galaxy, for example and I had bad results. I used the same settings that worked on this build on other versions (v1.3.1-91-g06ee419 ; v1.3.1-377-g99d7434 ; v1.3.1-386-g93c0d5a) and the results wasn't the same... even using native resolution. With this build I can clearly see a more solid performance in Rogue Galaxy (60fps with good audio... barely any stuttering), that is the most demanding game I tried on pcsx2 until now (other games I tried: BoF-Dragon Quarter, FFXII, Klonoa 2, Dark Cloud 2, Ar Tonelico, Odin Sphere, Persona 4, Shadow Hearts, Digital Devil Saga and Shin Megami tensei nocturne).

What annoys me is the fact that it is an old build lacking many improvements made in the more recent builds since it was released. I'll try the latest stable version again to see if I get the same results, but I think it will be the same, because better performance was always the goal in the first place when I decided to try the git versions. I would have returned to the stable version if the experience with the "beta" versions was worse. =P

But maybe it's just the same as the stable version... I'm using unstable versions for a long time now haha. Maybe I just forgot how the stable version performs after all this time. Anyway, people with weak machines could do some testing here to help me see if it's the build, the settings or just my computer mystical preference for this build haha.

By the way, sorry for my english. It sucks, but I hope that you guys can understand the overall idea. =P
stable versions are done with Profile Guided Optimizations whereas, we don't have time to do the same thing for the development versions but even still, the Development builds are fairly faster on most of the games on my test.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Yeah, I tested the stable version (newer than the last one I was using before trying development builds) and it has the same performance than this build, I guess. At least with rogue galaxy... but it doesn't support Anisotropic filtering like the development build, so I'll keep using v1.3.1-58-g5ed3f5f until a newer development build with equal or better performance appears. =P

I saw that some recent dev builds had deactivated some hacks and inner features in the emulator for some reason... maybe it's this that is making the performance worse.
(05-29-2015, 04:09 AM)sethomega Wrote: I saw that some recent dev builds had deactivated some hacks and inner features in the emulator for some reason... maybe it's this that is making the performance worse.
As far as I know, this emulator strives for accurate emulation as much as possible, and it is possible that less powerful hardware might have some performance issues as emulation accuracy gets better.

That said, a lot of the recent changes that have been happening don't appear to be removing any features, most of them are GSdx-related (mostly gregory making the OpenGL renderer better), and the only hack that was removed was a hack designed to fix some games that would stretch the rendered image out of the window bounds on nVidia hardware when using any recent drivers (and that was removed because a better solution to the problem was found that could be made permanent with no repercussions).
(05-29-2015, 04:09 AM)sethomega Wrote: I saw that some recent dev builds had deactivated some hacks and inner features in the emulator for some reason... maybe it's this that is making the performance worse.

the Nvidia Hack was removed since there was another safe workaround available without requiring any modification to the vertices. It wouldn't cause any Impact on speed.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I was not referring to the nvidia hack... I saw the devs disabling features temporarily for testing or something like that in other builds. As I don't look at the updates everyday, idk if those changes were undone.

By the way, these dev builds changes/improvements are cumulative or each new release can be a different and independent fork from the master directory in GIT? Can I download the latest build assuming that everything done before is present there?

Sorry for my horrible english.
(05-29-2015, 08:12 AM)sethomega Wrote: By the way, these dev builds changes/improvements are cumulative or each new release can be a different and independent fork from the master directory in GIT? Can I download the latest build assuming that everything done before is present there?

Each and every release is straightly from the Master branch and yes, every previous changes will be present unless they were removed for a specific reason.
- Refraction
(05-29-2015, 08:37 AM)ssakash Wrote: Each and every release is straightly from the Master branch and yes, every previous changes will be present unless they were removed for a specific reason.

Ok, thanks. It seems this last dev build has the same good performance in Rogue Galaxy on my machine with the same settings i'm using in the other old builds... maybe even better since its newer with all the improvements. Thanks for the attention and all the hard work guys. If wasn't for this software, I wouldn't be able to play my ps2 games, since my console optic drive isn't properly reading my discs.