Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best low profile video card on the market
First off, I wanted to say how grateful I am for the PCSX2 community. I've been lurking here for a while and have found it very helpful for getting my system up and running with PCSX2. To the developers, you guys are the best! Keep up the amazing work.

As for my issue, I currently have a custom build media center pc, with a core i3 530 OC'ed to ~3.5Ghz, and an ATI 5570 low profile with overdrive enabled. Performance of the i3 is OK, and the 5570 performs pretty well at native res. in several games. However, as I started moving over more of my PS2 games to my hard drive, I quickly realized that the 5570 was becoming a bottleneck in many cases (RE4 @720p is borderline 60 FPS, even FFXII drops FPS @720p in certain places, though popping to native res. fixes the issue).

The question is, is there a low profile graphics card (meaning half-height only, as my case can't support a full-height card) out there that would allow me to run most games @720p or better (pending CPU, of course Laugh)? Currently, the best option I can find is the PowerColor HD6750 (DDR5, 1150MHz Mem. Clock, 128-bit interface, 1GB size). Are there any better options (now or in the near future)? Will this option give me much more over my current 5570 in PCSX2?

An alternative option would be for me to get a full-height media center case along with a new graphics card, though I'm hoping to avoid that options as I really like the current form factor.

Obviously, temperature and noise is a bit of an issue, though I'm mainly concerned with performance at this point.

Again, thanks to the coders, devs, moderators, and anyone that can shed some light on this issue for me. You guys are all great for making PCSX2 as awesome as it is today.

Thanks,
bzim

Sponsored links

well if you are going to buy from the 6XXX series and feel noticeable difference the 6750 is good to go ( make sure you get the (G)DDR5 version )

and according the rearrangement AMD did with this series it should be slightly better than my 5670

which is very good i haven't play a game yet @720p that i didn't have 60/50 FPS in it Smile
(11-04-2011, 09:15 PM)abdo123 Wrote: well if you are going to buy from the 6XXX series and feel noticeable difference the 6750 is good to go ( make sure you get the (G)DDR5 version )

and according the rearrangement AMD did with this series it should be slightly better than my 5670

which is very good i haven't play a game yet @720p that i didn't have 60/50 FPS in it Smile

Abdo, That's good to hear! Do you have any luck with 1080p? Is it hit or miss (game dependent)? Or, is it just not very reliable at all.
well actually i hit 1080p and more most of the time : GOW 1/2 , FFX-2 , FFXII ,Devil may cry 2/3 , the Simpsons game and alot more all on @ x3 native Smile

only a game or 2 i couldn't play on 1080p

it is very reliable Smile
http://afox-corp.com/en/products_details.asp?proid=109 6850 lp
[Image: 8rg00e-4.png]
http://www.coneco.net/PriceList.asp?COM_ID=1110808250 I must dig deeper to find you this, the shipping will murder you Laugh

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-langua...uage=en_JP <-english as it gets
Amazon will ship it to you c: for an arm and leg
[Image: 8rg00e-4.png]
(11-04-2011, 10:07 PM)abdo123 Wrote: well actually i hit 1080p and more most of the time : GOW 1/2 , FFX-2 , FFXII ,Devil may cry 2/3 , the Simpsons game and alot more all on @ x3 native Smile

only a game or 2 i couldn't play on 1080p

it is very reliable Smile

Awesome info! How do you fair in games like Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2/3, or Killzone? I'm not sure if my i3 @3.5Ghz could even handle them, though I could probably push it a little more. My temps under load are only 54 degrees Celsius max. (normally around 51 while playing PCSX2).

(11-05-2011, 02:23 AM)thatwasonce Wrote: http://www.coneco.net/PriceList.asp?COM_ID=1110808250 I must dig deeper to find you this, the shipping will murder you Laugh

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-langua...uage=en_JP <-english as it gets
Amazon will ship it to you c: for an arm and leg

That would be pretty awesome! I had actually found the AFOX card in my searches, but gave up after realizing it wasn't (or hasn't) come to the U.S. Sad

Anyone have any love for a low profile NVidia? All of my searches seem to point to AMD/ATI as the king when it comes to current "high performance" low profile cards.
well the
(11-05-2011, 04:31 PM)bzim Wrote: Awesome info! How do you fair in games like Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2/3, or Killzone? I'm not sure if my i3 @3.5Ghz could even handle them, though I could probably push it a little more. My temps under load are only 54 degrees Celsius max. (normally around 51 while playing PCSX2).

well most of the games you just said are actually more CPU dependent than GPU SotC and MGS requires a decent Card and a good CPU never had a problem with it on my i3 550 @ 4GHz Smile

with SotC just make sure you use VU cycling and you're good to go ( usually doubles the amount of FPS you had with out it ) Smile

(11-05-2011, 04:31 PM)bzim Wrote: Anyone have any love for a low profile NVidia? All of my searches seem to point to AMD/ATI as the king when it comes to current "high performance" low profile cards.

nVidia had a low-profile 9600 GT, a GTS 250 and GTS 450.

The GTS 250 would compare quite close to the 5750.
The GTS 450 and 9600 GT are not quite as good,
but still like twice as good as the common GT 430 low-profile cards.
(11-06-2011, 12:10 AM)Rezard Wrote: nVidia had a low-profile 9600 GT, a GTS 250 and GTS 450.

The GTS 250 would compare quite close to the 5750.
The GTS 450 and 9600 GT are not quite as good,
but still like twice as good as the common GT 430 low-profile cards.

I saw the 450 in my initial searches. Being an NVidia fan more than an AMD/ATI fan (mostly due to nightmares with driver support in Linux a few years ago) I was going to go NVidia, but unfortunately they all seem to be unavailable at the moment. When do the next line of NVidia cards hit the market? Are there any plans that you know of for a new series of low-profile NVidia cards I should be waiting for (I like to think I'm a patient man, honestly Laugh)?