Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best system specs possible?
Question 
I was just curious as to what combination of cpu and video card etc is necessary in order to run pcsx2 at full speed 100% of the time (particularly higher-end games like resident evil 4, final fantasy X, kingdom hearts II, shadow of the colossus).
I've read posts where people say something like "there is no processor on the market that is fast enough to run all games at full speed 100% of the time", but that just seems kind of unrealistic to me.

There has to be some combination of hardware that can run pcsx2 flawlessly, or at least close enough.

Sponsored links

ATM it should be i7-3770K ($350) + GTX 690 ($1000), both are currently permanently out of stock on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819116501
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130781
[Image: 53146021.jpg]
I just thought it would be much shorter to write the worst config - "apple". One word - says soo much. xD Anyway "best" is stupid word, couse that obviously changes with time, but I would say that there are 2 cases depending of the money you can spent. Opposite to linked "best current" I'll rather post something that's "enough":

If you have some cash get an i5 from k(unlocked) series on good mobo with decent cooling that will allow you to use the potential of it in pair with at least GTX 560ti or better - would be enough to run most games(basically all except the buggy ones), not only at full speed, but also most would look better than on the console(especially if you compare them connected to big widescreen TV;P).

If you don't have enough money for that, and would like a budget pc, then Athlon II x3 or c2q above or close to 3ghz would be cheapest decent cpu's that could fully utilize features of new pcsx2 add a 50-100$ dedicated gpu(aiming at ddr5 memory model or something older with good memory bandwidth, couse that's common bottleneck, keeping in mind to have dx10+ which is less buggy and often faster in pcsx2 than dx9 - which also rises requirements for OS to Windows Vista, or better W7) and it should be ok for most games to run fine at full speed with some speedhacks.

If you unsure about some hardware, you can always check benchmarks if you didn't yet - GPU & CPU.

From the games you listed only Shadow of the Colossus is really demanding, through with speedhacks(to precise it's VU stealing speedhack) it can be decreased alot by decreasing animation smoothness(which isn't really soo smooth on ps2 either, but generally the less you need to set that speedhack on, the better for you) soo would require the more expensive set, but would also run with less enjoyment at the cheaper one.
Final Fantasy series isn't really hard to emulate, especially X which is pretty important for the project(considering how many people bought PS2 just to play that game;P) and get's much love to work fine, it just requires decent graphics card as most 3D games with any dual cpu above 2ghz, generally most common speed problem with pcsx2 people have is caused by running on weak laptop or at desktop without dedicated graphic card, weak low end gpu or even integrated one will simply not work for 3D games, any mid range cpu like from the second set with normal "gaming" gpu would be enough for it and the rest of those games.
(05-11-2012, 10:45 PM)tsunderetaiga Wrote: ATM it should be i7-3770K ($350) + GTX 690 ($1000), both are currently permanently out of stock on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819116501
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130781

the i7-3960x is still in stock+^_^+ ($1,029.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-NA-_-NA
Signature purposefully left blank.
PCSX2 only uses 2 cores, so the quad-core Ivy Bridge > hex-core Sandy Bridge Extreme, me think
[Image: 53146021.jpg]
Actually 3 cores with MTvu;P, more cores can also be used for software rendering, but I wouldn't really feed intel with more cash than it's needed @_@, 1k for cpu feels like getting back in time. Seriously I remember my intel pentium 200mhz which was an ultra super fast cpu back when I got it cost same money. Intel should buy an calendar and check what year we have. >.<
As AMD said years ago, without their competition, Intel would be charging $1,000+ for budget CPUs.
(05-12-2012, 01:44 AM)Ambient_Malice Wrote: As AMD said years ago, without their competition, Intel would be charging $1,000+ for budget CPUs.

actually thanks to their "competition" SB prices haven't dropped a $ since bulldozer even having small increase !!
(05-11-2012, 08:33 PM)tacoman Wrote: I was just curious as to what combination of cpu and video card etc is necessary in order to run pcsx2 at full speed 100% of the time (particularly higher-end games like resident evil 4, final fantasy X, kingdom hearts II, shadow of the colossus).

Those aren't even that hard to run fast...

(05-11-2012, 08:33 PM)tacoman Wrote: I've read posts where people say something like "there is no processor on the market that is fast enough to run all games at full speed 100% of the time", but that just seems kind of unrealistic to me.

Sorry to be so arrogant,
but I can't help but feel I have had ~the fastest processor realistically for a while, and since testing with native res is included (among other things), I'd say my GPU is certainly substantial enough for anything that's not broken in some way.

I can assure you--
Buy what you want,
you would still (eventually) come across games that won't run perfectly.

BTW - Are games that are labeled as "Playable",
yet not able to reach/keep full speed 100% of the time,
due to still being "broken in some way",
to be considered a part of "all games" or not...?

This always gets so complicated with opinions floating around. Wink

(05-11-2012, 08:33 PM)tacoman Wrote: There has to be some combination of hardware that can run pcsx2 flawlessly, or at least close enough.

Now you're getting realistic. ;P

"All games at full speed 100% of the time" is not truely possible.
Hard to say where the exact numbers sit,
but shooting for anything more than "the most possible" would be kinda moot if you just get the fastest thing currently available.

Get your unlocked Core i, and clock it as high as you can.
Get the GeForce GTX 680, not the GTX 690.
This is what you want for the best possible from PCSX2.
Dual Xeon E5-2687W 3.1GHZ, 3.8GHZ turbo ($1,900 each) on that $600 Asus mobo. Watercooled to ensure turbo is always on. With 16 cores/32 threads you can use software rendering for everything.