Best website to learn coding?
(12-30-2014, 04:42 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Maya is $3600

They make a student edition that is free for one year license.

Sponsored links

3 years I thought. i used to have one
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(12-29-2014, 11:32 PM)willkuer Wrote: I still would like to add that all high-level programming languages are more or less the same. If you can code in one you can learn the others as well without much effort.
The problem is to understand one of these languages.

The next problem is that you can use different languages for different programming paradigms. For example machine code, procedural, functional or object-oriented. And sometimes you have even a mixture of these.

If you know a bit about coding I would really suggest to code what you are interested in. This problem-oriented-learning is probably the best way to learn a lot in a short time. But you will probably never be really good in coding. If you want to be good you need to study it in some sense.

TL;DR: Write your first tech drawing analysis software in Java is a good idea.

In combination with the poster above who recommends the autoitscript.com site, I'm basically looking for pointers as to how I might go about constructing or designing a program to assist in the drawing analysis - which sounds like a broad question, but just looking for pointers.

So, I like the initial idea of scanning the designers drawing, turning it to an array format that's co-ordinated in X, Y, Z etc, then comparing them co-ordinates to the construction drawings being used on site, as a means to "check" them, effectively, as oppose to doing in by hand, laboriously.

I mean, say I turn the designers original drawing into the X, Y etc co-ordinate format, how can I transfer them co-ordinates to an array or some format WITHIN the Java compiler??

From there I assume it would be a matter of using loops or "check" format type commands to compare them to the construction/site drawings.

My question though - once the Designers drawings are in co-ordinate state, how do I transfer them co-ordinates to the Java compiler?
Kind of brain storming the approach, that of course would be the most fundamental initial step.

Any pointers?
Doesn't have to be super detailed, just an idea of where I could get started.
Windows 8.1 64

Intel® Core™ i5-4288U with Intel Iris HD Graphics 5100 (2.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
I did not exactly understood what you want to achieve.
If you want to digitalize a scanned drawing and compare it to a digital copy you probably have to:

1. Scan drawing
2. Import drawing into program as some bitmap/rgb-array/whatever
3. Remove disturbing information (cutting edges, removing other colors than the one of the drawing)
4. Get all remaining pixels that carry information (are not white/transparent)
5. Apply filters to convert pixel graphics to vector graphics (path tracing)
5a. Find pixels that form a line and replace it by a line
5b. Find pixels that form a circle and replace it by a circle
5c...
6. Compare vector graphic with digital copy by checking if values of both are within a certain epsilon environment (your precision).

Sounds a bit complicated if you are just starting. Especially the conversion from pixel- to vectorgraphic might be hard. (Path tracing)
Maybe you don't need to do it but it depends a bit on your requirements for the graphics comparer.

If I misunderstood what you want to achieve maybe try to reformulate your goal.
Well, the other thing is design drawings normally come in AutoCad format.

It would be a matter of transferring them from AutoCad to something similar to that Autoitscript, in order to attain the design co-ordinates?

Really the info I'm after is, say I already have the design co-ordinates - how can I input them into a Java array and begin checking them against derivatives of them co-ordinates, if that makes sense?
Cause the construction drawings are basically derivatives of the designers drawings.

That's one possibility.

The other application would be the printing off of work orders, dig orders etc, but again, that would rely on transferring the co-ordinates from a design drawing into a Java program, so they could be "spitted out" selectively, as such.
Windows 8.1 64

Intel® Core™ i5-4288U with Intel Iris HD Graphics 5100 (2.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)