Bios
@2:00 he swaps to a uLaunchELF disc

the uLe loads freemcboot onto the memory card, and that same exploit can dump the bios using the right elf

Sponsored links

Ah that finally makes sense. I kept skipping forwards through the video to get past the game-playing part and obviously missed the disk-swap.

So can that exploit be done with a different game, such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3?

Clonkex
(10-04-2012, 03:58 AM)Clonkex Wrote: Really? I didn't think you'd be allowed to do that sort of thing. Surely it'd be a breach of copyright, since you're effectively remaking the PS2 but slightly different?

It wouldn't be. As long as you start developing a bios FROM SCRATCH.
just take the word "copyright" means "right to copy something"
As long as you don't copy anything from Sony's original code, there is no copyright violation.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-04-2012, 04:49 AM)Clonkex Wrote: So can that exploit be done with a different game, such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3?

Clonkex

you can try, but I haven't fond any that really work.
(10-04-2012, 04:49 AM)Clonkex Wrote: So can that exploit be done with a different game, such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3?

Here is a list
http://freemcboot.info/swap.html
and a thread
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/ps2-gam...ons-62295/
Thanks vsub, that confirms THPS3 as a usable title Smile

Clonkex
(10-04-2012, 03:38 AM)jesalvein Wrote: ...It has been done in the past for other emus (dolphin, project64, etc...)
An HLE emulator had started a while ago, but it has been canceled AFAIK.
Sounds like alot of work which would also bring bugs that would take hundreds (if not thousands) of revisions to tackle just those bugs... I like the idea but I uber-hate the cost.

EDIT: Didn't some recent advanced modchips bypass PS2's internal (eeprom was it?) BIOS with a modified one by them because of a revision in those concoles that caused useless the previous method that modchips used? We could use that, I doubt they could sue you... XD

EDIT2: I doubt how legal are those from scratch BIOSes that use tons of copyrighted/trademarked logos etc, like boot sequences etc It would mean that some games that need full boot in PCSX2 you would need to get rid of the coldboots with the text and the "Playstation®2" in the gameboot sequence.