Bios dumper dumped wrong file?
All i can tell you is this: When i dumped my USA console's bios with the modchip on instead of getting my USA v2.30 bios that i use to this day it gave me a HK v2.00 bios.

Disable any modchips if you can while dumping bios is what advice i can give.

Sponsored links

I guess if the console is chipped it's possible the BIOS dumper isn't dumping the true BIOS but part of what the chip is emulating to do it's thing? I wonder.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-17-2016, 01:22 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I guess if the console is chipped it's possible the BIOS dumper isn't dumping the true BIOS but part of what the chip is emulating to do it's thing? I wonder.

If the console is chipped, the ROM will be patched on-the-fly, so it is NOT the original "BIOS".
It's best to remove or disable the modchip because it may cause issues with other software like Free MC Boot.

It's best to use Free MC Boot for booting "backups" or homebrew anyway. Modchips just mess up too much stuff to make them worthwhile nowadays.
That's what I figured. Maybe the OP console is chipped and he doesn't even know?
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
How do I safely disable the chip and then safely re-enable it?
Depends on what chip you have.
I honestly don't think he does. I myself don't and as shown in the linked thread my file names all came out with the same _VX_ and are also read by PCSX2 as being Japan BIOS despite being taken from an unmodded console.

I think the issue might stem from whatever _VX_ means.

The BIOS I dumped from my original black slim (RIP) Did not have _VX_ in it's filenames and was recognized as US. But since I don't have my old black one anymore and just have my 77001 I can't confirm the filenames anymore.
[Image: c9hit5-2.png]
VX just means unknown PS2 version. For instance here is my BIOS filename:

Code:
SCPH-50001_BIOS_V10_USA_190.BIN

It's from an SCPH-50001 V10 console and it's BIOS version 1.90. "VX" just means the dumper couldn't ascertain the version of the console because the BIOS is corrupted/weird/modded/etc.

It's possible there is an intermediate unknown rev of PS2 with a weird BIOS but that seems really unlikely IMO.
I personally don't have any problems with FMCB or the dumper and my PS2 have modchip(soldered myself)and pcsx2 also recognize it correctly
The dumper that dump the bios as p2b also worked fine.
Okay, so if we've figured that out. We have 3 known cases where the Dumper has created _VX_ Files that read as JP BIOS's in PCSX2 despite being from varying locations and model numbers.

What I think is happening is since the Dumper can't figure out the version completely it's going into some type of compatibility mode and just marking the files as NTSC-J Regardless of the source so they can be read instead of just failing outright as that would be a major issue for versions higher than a certain point.

I don't think the BIOS are weird or corrupt as maybe they just have new code that the dumper doesn't recognize.

I also wonder if it's specific to which "Dumper" we used. I know there's one version I couldn't use because I didn't have it connected to a LAN and it didn't wanna just dump to my flash drive. IIRC The 1.0 is the one that dumps direct to it's launch location (In my case, flash drive) and 2.0 needed the LAN connection. But it's been a long time and I may be mistaken.
[Image: c9hit5-2.png]