Blurry image, no matter the settings?
Hey guys. 

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why a lot of PCSX2 games seem to have a grossly blurry picture, regardless of what settings are applied? For example, playing Fatal Frame with the following settings...

[Image: nHz2g3n.png]

...gets me the following picture (open in a new tab to see the fine detail, or lack thereof). 

[Image: BCEVF06.png]

And changing the settings does not seem to affect the way the picture looks. 

What does change, curiously, is the written text that the game displays. If I change the resolution to "Native" and turn off anisotropic filtering, the dialogue looks like this:

[Image: qZSCPL4.png]

If I change the settings to x8 and x16 respectively, there is a marginal improvement:

[Image: rclZD4K.png]

Can anyone explain the lack of results to me?

Sponsored links

Set Interlacing to Bob ttf. It should improve things.

[Image: pcsx2%202017-01-17%2001-30-04-518.png]

Also there's absolutely no reason to be running this game on 8x Native resolution. You're better off setting a lower one.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
No good.

Setting the image to native with bob-deinterlacing (which shakes like crazy) still comes up with:

[Image: eD3nX6u.png]
Don't set the image to native, just something lower than 8x. Like 3x or 4x at the most
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Resolution changes don't seem to affect anything. (FWIW, game runs at full speed on 8x)

Log reads, "Frame buffer size set to 640x512 (1920x1536)" if that means anything. The game window, however, still lists the resolution as 640x448. I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not.

EDIT: One other thing. Actual FMVs, rather than just non-rendered cutscenes, seem to look just fine.
I noticed just now you have hardware hacks enabled. What do you have running under there?
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(01-17-2017, 03:15 AM)Ryudo Wrote: I noticed just now you have hardware hacks enabled. What do you have running under there?

I just tried MSAA to see if it would do anything, which it did not.
Another thing, changing the video plugin doesn't have any effect either.
I figured out the problem, I suppose. In order to get a clear picture, apparently the widescreen patches have to be enabled. 

That seems a little weird and silly, but that's what fixed it.
this is a bit late, but for anyone else like me who was wondering, the blurry image is intentionally there as an effect to enhance the game. the problem is, it doesn't look very good when upscaled. in the widescreen patch, there is an optional code there that can be enabled to turn off the bloom if desired. so like any other PCSX2 cheat, you can just open it up in notepad, remove the // to enable the cheat, save it, and put it back in the widescreen archive.