Bottleneck?
I was just wondering if my video card is somehow causing the not-so-good performance that I am getting in PCSX 2.

System specs are:

Intel C2D E7300 2.67 ghz
mobo with intel chipset (p45)
2 gb ddr2 Kingston
Gainward 6800 GS Bliss 512 mb
WinXP SP3

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

Could be, depends on the game and the resolution you have set in GSdx. If the GSdx title bar reports above 90% CPU usage, it means your GPU is the bottleneck.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Mine shows 99%, always.... ):
You can reduce the load of your video card by checking 'native' in GSdx config. You can also further reduce the resolution (although not recommended) by changing the internalres value in the GSdx.ini file manually to something like 512x512 or lower (it will crash though for really low values)
I'm using native res (512 x 512 looks total crap), no EE speedhacks, no frameskip, default plugins with 0.9.6 stable release. Now that you've mentioned about "90%" cpu usage, I observed the game status bar while playing (GTA: vice city stories) that the slowdown occurs when the cpu usage meter hits on somewhere around 98%.
(08-26-2009, 08:25 AM)Bositman Wrote: You can reduce the load of your video card by checking 'native' in GSdx config. You can also further reduce the resolution (although not recommended) by changing the internalres value in the GSdx.ini file manually to something like 512x512 or lower (it will crash though for really low values)

the lowest "safe" value is 256x256 but it's ugly
(08-26-2009, 08:05 AM)Bositman Wrote: Could be, depends on the game and the resolution you have set in GSdx. If the GSdx title bar reports above 90% CPU usage, it means your GPU is the bottleneck.

That explains it ! I wondrered why i have so high load and my brother doesnt, i have gf9500 and he got 9600
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
Now I understand the full concept of bottleneck...the gfx card is too slow to render video output in comparison to how fast the cpu is processing things, making the cpu repeatedly process tasks it has already dealt with which causes the task queue to fill up and drive CPU usage to almost 100%. I guess the 6800 gs could not keep up with the e7300 then....
Err not really. The CPU % shown in the GSdx title bar is the load of the core dedicated to the GS via the MTGS mode, where we run the GS on a separate thread. So the more load there is on the GPU, the larger the usage of the second core, which ends up being the bottleneck in some cases.

Quote:. Now that you've mentioned about "90%" cpu usage, I observed the game status bar while playing (GTA: vice city stories) that the slowdown occurs when the cpu usage meter hits on somewhere around 98%.

Yep, the GPU is the bottleneck there
Use some speedhacks if you can. You can bump the speed much higher. I can play it on fullspeed(without VU cycle stealing of course) with specs in my sig.
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz (Turbo 5.1 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 (8 GB)
RAM: Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX
MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS