Brand new gaming laptop can't run FF12?
Hi PCSX2 members; long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I come to thread creation after searching through a great deal of past FF12 issues and slow-gameplay threads, none of which seem to quite match my issue. I have this brand-new gaming computer (purchased late last summer) with the following specs:

GeForce GTX 765M (2GB DDR5)
i7 4700HQ quad-core @ 2.4 GHz
16 GB RAM
256 GB SSD (where PCSX2 and my PS2 game images are installed)

For anything further I don't know off the top of my head, this is the exact laptop in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...02031946:s

I'd love to run FF12 at 1080p with FXAA and edge anti-aliasing, 60 fps, but I'm falling well short of this. My testing has entirely been done in the opening area, playing as Reks. Menus and dialogue runs great, but when it comes to swinging the camera (and especially moving), the silky framerate drops to unplayable stutters.

I've tried all manner of speedhack combinations (including disabling them entirely), and even bumping down to 3x, 2x, and Native resolution seems to have a persistent stutter that I can't shake. With these specs, I'm very surprised that I'm having such trouble--my only thought is, maybe the CPU as a bottleneck? But I've got four cores running... unless the emulator is only using one, which wouldn't make much sense either--I've bumped extra rendering threads up to 3 in the GS settings, I'm using AX2, and I've tried playing with the speedhack that utilizes extra threads.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions, especially if someone has experienced a mysterious bottleneck like the one I can't seem to place!

Sponsored links

Make sure the Nvidia card is selected in the plugin. The card should allow 2x or 3x upscale but above this the gain in perceived quality is too small anyway. Avoid edge AA and HW hacks at least until having the game running as you want.

Extra rendering threads work only in software mode, don't bother changing it, besides it should be left at 3 anyway.

You may want to enable MTVU at the config speedhacks and this game accepts EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing relatively well, you could try advancing them just a bit, not beyond the mid curse.

Now, the real performance killer in laptops is Windows power saving plan. You may want to change it to "Performance" at Windows control panel. Remember to return the original plan after playing. Beware the temperature since the computer will be running full speed all the time.

Good Luck.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(03-02-2014, 05:54 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Make sure the Nvidia card is selected in the plugin. The card should allow 2x or 3x upscale but above this the gain in perceived quality is too small anyway. Avoid edge AA and HW hacks at least until having the game running as you want.

Extra rendering threads work only in software mode, don't bother changing it, besides it should be left at 3 anyway.

You may want to enable MTVU at the config speedhacks and this game accepts EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing relatively well, you could try advancing them just a bit, not beyond the mid curse.

Now, the real performance killer in laptops is Windows power saving plan. You may want to change it to "Performance" at Windows control panel. Remember to return the original plan after playing. Beware the temp since the computer will be running full speed all the time.

Good Luck.

Thanks for responding! I figured it out JUST before your reply--my laptop was indeed set to Power Saver mode. Changed it to High Performance, and I'm now at a constant 60 fps, 1080p, all anti-aliasing options turned on.

One question, though (and I realize this extends beyond PCSX2 support)--is CPU really forced to maximum load the entire time 'High Performance' is On? It doesn't just ramp up during 3D applications?
Its not forced to maximum load, it's just not throttled aggressively. Although PCSX2 will put a pretty good load on it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
If you were using older versions like pcsx2 0.92 it would use the whole speed of the CPU Laugh which means 100% all the time Laugh, I remember those days Tongue
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
(03-02-2014, 07:50 AM)Butz_san Wrote: If you were using older versions like pcsx2 0.92 it would use the whole speed of the CPU Laugh which means 100% all the time Laugh, I remember those days Tongue

Ah, I've been around long enough to remember killing all my computer's excess tasks and processes and overclocking both CPU and GPU to get 25 fps in Kingdom Hearts II. Happy to have new equipment to really give my games new life.
(03-02-2014, 07:50 AM)Butz_san Wrote: If you were using older versions like pcsx2 0.92 it would use the whole speed of the CPU Laugh which means 100% all the time Laugh, I remember those days Tongue

Why?
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(03-02-2014, 06:00 AM)omahasteaks Wrote: Thanks for responding! I figured it out JUST before your reply--my laptop was indeed set to Power Saver mode. Changed it to High Performance, and I'm now at a constant 60 fps, 1080p, all anti-aliasing options turned on.

One question, though (and I realize this extends beyond PCSX2 support)--is CPU really forced to maximum load the entire time 'High Performance' is On? It doesn't just ramp up during 3D applications?

Basically the Performance power plan forces the CPU to run at it's max clock speed all the time but says nothing about the load. On the other hand PCSX2 is power hunger, more than almost any PC game you'd play on the CPU side what can and will push temperature up. How much, depends on the laptop and air flow. Is advisable you having some kind of active pad (fan) while using it.

But it's not like overclock or something, just prevents the CPU to reduce the base clock.

Edit: Forgot to say, PCSX2 itself is a kitten, if not running a game it just seats there as idle as possible. Things change the moment it starts running the actual game and then, depend on the game how much demanding it will become. Very alike different PC games have different demands.
Imagination is where we are truly real