User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a PC - Sandy Bridge LGA1155
Rezard Offline
The Blue Mage

RE: Building a PC - Sandy Bridge LGA1155
Well, a standard i5-2500 is OK, if you don't mind stopping at 4.0Ghz with your overclocking. That "Limited Unlocking" on a P67 is definitely better than nothing, but for like $20 more, why not let temps and volts be your only limitations?

Go with an unlocked "K", that's where the serious SB OCing will be done.

@ ilovejedd:
When you say "good quality" 500W, what constitutes the quality? The amps on the 12V rail? Being 80+ certified? I'm not sure what else to go by...
01-23-2011 05:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Sponsored links

ilovejedd Offline

(01-23-2011 05:46 AM)Rezard Wrote:   @ ilovejedd:
When you say "good quality" 500W, what constitutes the quality? The amps on the 12V rail? Being 80+ certified? I'm not sure what else to go by...

Unfortunately, this is the part that requires research. Basically, try searching for reviews from reputable websites (e.g. JonnyGURU.com, Hardware Secrets, SilentPCReview, Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, etc).

SeaSonic is always a safe choice as they both design and manufacture their own power supplies.

Corsair used to be a safe choice, but they dropped the ball recently particularly on lower end CX models and they switched OEM's on some of their higher end models. Their AX models are excellent but I'm not sure if their VX, TX and HX models still adhere to the same standards of quality that have been set previously.

Most of Antec's offerings (EarthWatts, Neo Eco, True Power, etc) are also good choices.

There are plenty other power supplies to choose from but again, you'd just have to do your research.
01-24-2011 03:53 AM
Rezard Offline
The Blue Mage

So, do you think I could expect around the same quality from the XFX branded PSU I posted? It's made by SeaSonic, and XFX is a fairly reputable brand, right?
01-24-2011 07:29 AM
rahul.deadmanzzz Offline
DISTURBED

(01-24-2011 03:53 AM)ilovejedd Wrote:  Unfortunately, this is the part that requires research. Basically, try searching for reviews from reputable websites (e.g. JonnyGURU.com, Hardware Secrets, SilentPCReview, Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, etc).

SeaSonic is always a safe choice as they both design and manufacture their own power supplies.

Corsair used to be a safe choice, but they dropped the ball recently particularly on lower end CX models and they switched OEM's on some of their higher end models. Their AX models are excellent but I'm not sure if their VX, TX and HX models still adhere to the same standards of quality that have been set previously.

Most of Antec's offerings (EarthWatts, Neo Eco, True Power, etc) are also good choices.

There are plenty other power supplies to choose from but again, you'd just have to do your research.

I calculated my appropriate PSU power on Newegg.com, it has :-
core i5 2500k as a processor with high end motherboard( in the site it is i5 LGA 1156, instead of LGA 1155), 4 GB ram, GTX 460 GPU, DVD RW, 2 Hard Drive.
So it gives 527 W required..

The question i ask u is aircoolers and other things require more power, so getting 650 W PSU is good enough, Isnt it?? I may further more add may things in future..And what if i overclock?? will it take more power? Also with this much Psu power will my PC power consumption also increase?? I mean as per PSU power increases, (650w to 750W etc..) will it also increase my PC power consumption??

Go Check yourself.
Power Supply Calculator

[Image: wipe_b10.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011 07:37 AM by rahul.deadmanzzz.)
01-24-2011 07:31 AM
Active8 Offline

Hi , let me Give you Better Sugestion

1.Dont get MSI Board , they re CRAP ! its my Long Time Experience & ... any way Go for GIGABYTE , you can have p67a ud3 ! cheap & can provide you 100% !
2.you realy dont need i5 2500K , because even i5 2300 is Much More than Enouhg for Game Killers or Natrual Users , K version is For Ocing & OCing is Not that good thing , youll be Fine using Stock Speed , ocing wont Give you any Advantage !

My Suggestion is : i5 2300 , or if you wanna Pay mor i5 2400 or Pay extra for i5 2500 , but no difference in gaming , all Are GREAT !

3.your PSU is Good enough , but if you still wanna do the Risk & OC , then get Higher PSU , that PSU is Fine but IF i were you i might Get something around 58? or 600 !
then i would Feel better , the CPU that u Choosed doesnt Consume alot !

4.ram is Great , 4Gb is Fin enough ! & then you dont need 8 Cores , even 4 Cores Do greater than 6 Cores in the Games !

bye
01-28-2011 04:33 PM
ilovejedd Offline

(01-28-2011 04:33 PM)Active8 Wrote:  2.you realy dont need i5 2500K , because even i5 2300 is Much More than Enouhg for Game Killers or Natrual Users , K version is For Ocing & OCing is Not that good thing , youll be Fine using Stock Speed , ocing wont Give you any Advantage !

My Suggestion is : i5 2300 , or if you wanna Pay mor i5 2400 or Pay extra for i5 2500 , but no difference in gaming , all Are GREAT !

You really shouldn't be giving advice like this. While that's true for your computer usage, Rezard will probably use his build for PS2 emulation and PCSX2 requires a *lot* of computing power. Heck, he could probably overclock to 5 GHz and still be able to find games that won't run full speed without speedhacks.

@Rezard
XFX are pretty good. Pretty much anything made by SeaSonic is a safe bet.

@rahul.deadmanzzz
That Newegg calculator is waaay overestimating the power required by that build. I suggest you use this instead:
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

For the following parts:
High-End mobo
Core i7 (LGA-1156)
GTX 460 1GB x1
2GB DDR3 x2
DVD-RW x1
7200RPM 3.5" HDD x2

Newegg: 531W

eXtreme PSU Calculator (CPU TDP: 100%, System Load: 100%)
Minimum PSU Wattage: 356W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 406W
3.3V: 7.2A, 5.5V: 10.6A, 12V: 27.4A

Just add around 5~10W per fan. Oh well, Newegg is in the business of selling power supplies and they sell models ranging from crappy to high-end. Of course their power supply calculator is bound to be inflated.

A 650W PSU should be more than good enough for that build. Heck, a decent 650W should be able to handle a couple of GTX 460's in 2-way SLI configuration. As for your actual power consumption, it wouldn't really vary all that much. You can expect to see some differences owing to different power supply efficiencies (and their respective efficiency curves) but that's about it.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2011 06:37 PM by ilovejedd.)
01-28-2011 06:27 PM
rahul.deadmanzzz Offline
DISTURBED

(01-28-2011 06:27 PM)ilovejedd Wrote:  You really shouldn't be giving advice like this. While that's true for your computer usage, Rezard will probably use his build for PS2 emulation and PCSX2 requires a *lot* of computing power. Heck, he could probably overclock to 5 GHz and still be able to find games that won't run full speed without speedhacks.

@Rezard
XFX are pretty good. Pretty much anything made by SeaSonic is a safe bet.

@rahul.deadmanzzz
That Newegg calculator is waaay overestimating the power required by that build. I suggest you use this instead:
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

For the following parts:
High-End mobo
Core i7 (LGA-1156)
GTX 460 1GB x1
2GB DDR3 x2
DVD-RW x1
7200RPM 3.5" HDD x2

Newegg: 531W

eXtreme PSU Calculator (CPU TDP: 100%, System Load: 100%)
Minimum PSU Wattage: 356W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 406W
3.3V: 7.2A, 5.5V: 10.6A, 12V: 27.4A

Just add around 5~10W per fan. Oh well, Newegg is in the business of selling power supplies and they sell models ranging from crappy to high-end. Of course their power supply calculator is bound to be inflated.

A 650W PSU should be more than good enough for that build. Heck, a decent 650W should be able to handle a couple of GTX 460's in 2-way SLI configuration. As for your actual power consumption, it wouldn't really vary all that much. You can expect to see some differences owing to different power supply efficiencies (and their respective efficiency curves) but that's about it.

That Extreme Power Supply Calculator has everything!!...Thanx man..
And you said that right regarding PS 2 emulation, Such Processors are for emulation, If i dont overclock my stock pc now, would i require an aircooler ?? I think no, isnt it?? Any fan near about 10$ would be ok, Isnt it?

[Image: wipe_b10.gif]
01-29-2011 04:38 AM

Current time: 12-21-2014, 05:07 PM