Building a PCSX2 machine -- 2 low-clock CPUs or 1 high-clock CPU?
Music 
How does PCSX2 deal with multiple processors? Naturally, I don't want to spend the extra money and effort to get 2 CPUs if PCSX2 cannot take advantage of both of them.

Will I get better results with a machine running 2.26 x2 CPUs, or 3.33 x1 CPU?

Both configurations will eventually be overclocked, so it will probably look more like 2.6 x2 and 3.7 x1.

I appreciate any support the community and/or the team may provide. Thanks!

Sponsored links

Go read the FAQ, man.
Quote:Recommended
* Windows Vista / Windows 7 32bit/64bit
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2ghz or better
* GPU: 8600gt or better
* 1gb RAM (2gb if on Vista / Windows 7)
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(02-16-2010, 05:39 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Go read the FAQ, man.
Perhaps, when I read the FAQ originally, I didn't see the invisible ink that details how PCSX2 handles multiple CPUs. Thanks for reading the OP.
(02-16-2010, 05:49 AM)Baryn Wrote:
(02-16-2010, 05:39 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Go read the FAQ, man.
Perhaps, when I read the FAQ originally, I didn't see the invisible ink that details how PCSX2 handles multiple CPUs. Thanks for reading the OP.

buy a second hand ps2 and save your self hassle and $$$
Quote:buy a second hand ps2 and save your self hassle and $$$
He already needs to own a PS2 to use PCSX2 legally. You didn't answer the question or contribute to the thread in the least.

Quote:How does PCSX2 deal with multiple processors? Naturally, I don't want to spend the extra money and effort to get 2 CPUs if PCSX2 cannot take advantage of both of them.

Since PCSX2 only uses 2 threads (which will get to 3 threads with the next release) you should get a single CPU, clocked as high as you can.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(02-16-2010, 08:45 AM)Bositman Wrote: Since PCSX2 only uses 2 threads (which will get to 3 threads with the next release) you should get a single CPU, clocked as high as you can.

This is what I feared, but at least I will save money! Thank you VERY much for your concise and informative reply.

And yes, I own a PS2, it is plugged in all the time – but it looks terrible at HD resolution. The new PC will be used primarily for work, but replaying my PS2 library in HD is, of course, a super high priority. Tongue
The more GHz u have , the better, thats it atm.

Just like bositman said, its better to get more GHz and tune it up.

Once it uses 3 threads instead of 2, consider buying a quad-core PC (if u have the money, lol)
[Image: costas84bannerr.jpg]
(02-16-2010, 06:16 PM)costas84 Wrote: Once it uses 3 threads instead of 2, consider buying a quad-core PC (if u have the money, lol)

Just BTW, I'm looking at the Core i7 975 Extreme, which is a quad-core, 3.33Ghz chip, automatically boosting itself to up to 3.6Ghz when necessary (review: http://hothardware.com/Articles/Intel-Co...or-Review/ ). After overclocking, its default is more like 3.7Ghz, making its max 4.0Ghz.
(02-16-2010, 06:16 PM)costas84 Wrote: The more GHz u have , the better, thats it atm.

Just like bositman said, its better to get more GHz and tune it up.

Once it uses 3 threads instead of 2, consider buying a quad-core PC (if u have the money, lol)

oh can I just ask will I see a performance increase with a dual core CPU with 3 threads over 2. As you said only get a single core would be better with 2 threads but I thought it's 1 thread per core is optimum.
You may have mis understood. They've been talking about the number of cpu's not cores.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit