Building a laptop to run pcsx2
Hi guys. Im building a new laptop, and these are the possible specifications:
320gb 5400rpm drive
Intel core 2 duo t9400 or intel core 2 quad q9100 (which is better for pcsx2)
By the way, there is a very good chance of overlocking the CPU and GPU

Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT
4gb ddr2 800

All i want is to be able to play final fantasy x and x2, maybe kingdom hearts 2 flawlessly on this system.

Sponsored links

The T9400 would definitely be a better choice for PCSX2 seeing as more than 2 cores aren't supported. With the T9400, you'll definitely be able to play KH2 fine, but you might need to overclock just a little bit for FFX and FFX-2 to run perfectly, although with the newest revision of the GSDX plugin, you probably won't need an overclock.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
So quad core is not good to have, even overclocked? Its an engineering sample anyway. Also, should this run metroid primes 1 and 2 ok?
Quad core have no advantage over dual core when talking about PCSX2, as PCSX2 only uses two cores anyway. Quad core is only better when multitasking with other applications. And such, it doesn't matter if it's overclocked, PCSX2 won't use more than two of the four cores available.

I'm not super familiar with laptops and overclocking but my guess is that it's quite hard to OC the component in a laptop as laptops are specifically designed to be fast while being as cool as possible.
are you sure you want to be overclocking a laptop? that is highly dangerous. Is there any reason it has to be a laptop? i mean your money would be better spent building a desktop for PCSX2
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-26-2009, 04:45 PM)refraction Wrote: are you sure you want to be overclocking a laptop? that is highly dangerous. Is there any reason it has to be a laptop? i mean your money would be better spent building a desktop for PCSX2

I'm on the move most the time, and this is a high end laptop i will be making (msi, look it up. Bios enables overclocking Wink )

My point is:
T9400 costs me 176, q9100 will cost me 190. Both will be overclocked (to around 2.8 ghz?)
i know pcsx2 will not make more of the cores, but the quad core has double the cache! And so, i just don't want to LOSE performance if i pick the q9100 over the t9400. Im also reading off this chart here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Proc...436.0.html
Just get a pre-built laptop...
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(06-26-2009, 04:51 PM)viperextreme Wrote: Both will be overclocked (to around 2.8 ghz?)

If you have it OCed to 2.8 then FFX, FFX-2 and KH2 will run fine. My CPU runs at 2.6 and I can play FFX and FFXII at full speed (with speed hacks, which may be unnecessary with the latest GSDX).
If both the Dual Core and the Quad Core come clocked at 2.8 then I guess you're better off with the quad right? Obviously it'll be better if it's clocked the same with an additional 2 cores.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
ok thanks!
however quad core has zero advantage over dual core on pcsx2.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]