Burnout 3 - Launching the NFS:U2 Demo Causes Entire PC to Hang
So this is... interesting (not in a good way.)

I'm playing Burnout 3: Takedown (SLES-52584) and I try to launch the NFS:U2 demo in Driver Details -> Extras. I make it to NFS:U2's loading screen where it displays the controls and my entire PC hangs. My cursor is frozen in place, the screen doesn't refresh and none of my peripherals will accept input. I'm posting this here first and not on the Github issue tracker to make sure that it's not just me.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch Burnout 3: Takedown
2. Navigate to the main menu (the one with Burnout 3 World Tour as the first option)
3. Navigate to Driver Details, then Extras
4. Select Play NFS: Underground 2 Demo (I dare you)
5. Your computer will be kill until you either eject the disc or hit the reset button

My specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K @ 4.1GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770
RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
OS  : Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Sponsored links

Even if I don't want to torture your pc it might be really helpful to get any error or warning message available including emulog after the hang and possibly eventviewer logs.
I'd also suggest what willkuer has mentioned. also maybe monitoring your CPU,RAM usage values before the hang happens could be useful I guess.

are you sure that nothing is wrong on your background processes side ? maybe some other process triggering the issue ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I just checked the NFS:U2 PCSX2 Wiki page and it basically says that unless Skipdraw is set to 1, FPS will tank. It says nothing about hanging or freezing.

When the demo is running with Skipdraw set to 1, my VRAM usage is hovering around 300MB (one Chrome tab is running in the background.) If I change Skipdraw from 1 to 0 while the demo is still running, my VRAM usage IMMEDIATELY shoots to 1GB/100%! The same thing happens if Skipdraw is set to 0 from boot. The Wiki also states that it's "fine" if you have enough VRAM in your graphics card, but I'd personally like to know what "enough" means in this context.

Would anyone with a graphics card with possibly 4GB of VRAM (more than mine, at least) be willing to test to see what happens in the same scenario? If there's a "safe" VRAM amount for this scenario, I'd like to add it to the game's Wiki article. Right now, the Wiki's description of this seems to be severly understating what can happen if Skipdraw is set to 0.
Can you please post your gsdx plugin settings?

This could be really a nice game to debug memory usage of gsdx. Possibly you should create an gs dump as well. Just create it using the skipdraw value. The dump is created before skipdraw acts. Therefore if you replay the dump you can set skipdraw to 0 or 1 to debug the issue with one dump.
I can do more testing with a 4GB Fury on monday, when i get it. But, it seems changing rendering settings while running the game causes issues.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Screenshot of the moment the dump was created: http://i.imgur.com/LkJiegQ.png
The GS dump itself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AFeSV...sp=sharing
My GSDX settings: http://i.imgur.com/zguDwyb.png
What happens if you increase crc level instead of skipdraw? CRC none is as written mostly for debugging... Mostly on opengl.
my PC doesn't hang anymore from using Direct3D this time, instead of OpenGL, which is known to be slow on AMD.
In terms of VRAM usage, all CRC levels do the same thing; ~1000MB Dedicated, ~600MB Dynamic. This is with Skipdraw set to 0.
So?
Problem solved? Just by itself?