Buying a new high end rig...thoughts?
(03-21-2015, 01:56 PM)Coma Wrote: My thoughts : go to proper hardware forum because here I can read so many bullshits...
really ? can you list them ?. accusing something without any points to back it up is really not good.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction

Sponsored links

Quote:[No, I don't think same clockspeed between them could produce the same single thread performance. since, the Intel Core i7-4790S clocked at 3.2 GHZ has an higher STP compared to the Intel Core i5-4690K which is clocked @ 3.50GHz.

Where are you getting this nonsense from? The only way that would happen is if the supposed benchmark used the boost clock values rather than the stock clocked ones. There are countless benches that back up what I say, there's nothing special whatsoever about the i7 chips that gives them extra STP over their i5 brethren.

Quote:There are many situations for this to happen on high resolution,

You do realize that higher resolution = GPU bottleneck, right?
(03-21-2015, 02:54 PM)NarooN Wrote: Where are you getting this nonsense from? The only way that would happen is if the supposed benchmark used the boost clock values rather than the stock clocked ones. There are countless benches that back up what I say, there's nothing special whatsoever about the i7 chips that gives them extra STP over their i5 brethren.
the results are from passmark, they might have used the boosted clock values.
but that still doesn't justify why the i7-4770 has a higher STP when, both the 4770 and i5-4690 have the same boosted clock speed.

(03-21-2015, 02:54 PM)NarooN Wrote: You do realize that higher resolution = GPU bottleneck, right?
you do realize that both of the test were using the same GPU, right ?
where, the i7 processors had a higher score than the i5 processors. (which is obviously a CPU bottleneck)
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-20-2015, 10:06 PM)Ryudo Wrote: That's a locked CPU. You won't be able to OC that. It's worse than the 4690k in comparison.

I know. Does he plan on playing Ratchet and Clank?
Moe: [to Homer] And I'm pulling your favorite song out of the jukebox.
Homer: "It's Raining Men"?!
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]
Smithers: Ow! [looks at the record] Ohhh.

what would ;e; do
(03-21-2015, 03:36 PM)Marge Simpson Wrote: I know. Does he plan on playing Ratchet and Clank?

For the record there are games that are worse than ratchet and clank. Zone of Enders 2, Champions or Norath: Return to Arms, and Valkyrie Profile 2: Slimeria.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Quote:the results are from passmark, they might have used the boosted clock values.
but that still doesn't justify why the i7-4770 has a higher STP when, both the 4770 and i5-4690 have the same boosted clock speed.

And you're blindly taking numbers from Passmark as the end all be all of a comparison? I already explained to you why your theory is nonsense. If the i7 scored higher for STP, it was either margin of error or a poorly-done bench.

Yep, I just checked. i7-4770k @ 3.5ghz scored 2.267, the i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz scored 2.232... Which is pretty much completely insignificant and margin of error. If anything, the bench somehow makes use of the extra L3$, but that's completely unrealistic in terms of actual consumer apps (like games.)

Quote:you do realize that both of the test were using the same GPU, right ?
where, the i7 processors had a higher score than the i5 processors. (which is obviously a CPU bottleneck)

Duh, when did I say they didn't use the same GPU? Games don't magically become CPU bottlenecked when the resolution gets increased -- the exact opposite happens. The review itself notes that the only reason the i7 was faster was because of the extra threads, not because of clockspeed. Those were very rare examples since most games aren't even well-threaded like that.

Hell, go look at the PCSX2 benchmark thread. i5's and i7's get the same scores when clocked at the same speeds, even the G3258 gets the same scores when they've got the same clocks. The same rings true for the majority of games out there on Windows and Linux today. If the OP wants to spend $100 to get a few extra frames when he'd already be getting well over 100fps anyway, then that's his prerogative, but it's a dumb buy either way it goes.
(03-21-2015, 05:51 PM)NarooN Wrote: I already explained to you why your theory is nonsense. If the i7 scored higher for STP, it was either margin of error or a poorly-done bench.
you did explain but, you didn't provide any proofs/reason for that. all you mentioned was you had a couple of benchmarks to back it up whereas, it could also be debunked by other set of benchmarks and next you're claiming them as a margin of error.

Overall, the i7 processors does benefit from the well threaded applications and also has a larger cache and a better base and boost clock speed compared to most of the i5 processors. also, The i7 processors perform better than the i5 processors at software mode. and, by most of the reports it is also better at media encoding. I don't think it's a dumb buy, it just takes a little more of a Extra money for the jump.

Alternative:-
The OP can also get a cheap unlocked i5 haswell processor and overclock it further to something like 4.2GHZ+ and play most of the games well in pcsx2 at software mode. whereas, it would probably also need a better fan cooler. thus ultimately, he/she can save 100$ and buy something else.
- Refraction
i5-i7 is basically the same in games althrough the i7 should be a bit better in demanding games, you should keep your i7 longer, you don't know when games will require 8 threads... maybe it will be a year where even if you need 8 thread your i7 will still be too weak. We don't even know what will be the full DX12 games.

So for games the i5 is perfect actually, and the i7 is better. For encoding and all multhreaded apps, there is no debates the i7 wins. I still have a 2500k and I don't feel the need to change, if its for games you must spend your money on a gpu rather than on an i7, but if you have the money why not taking an i7 for the extra fps it will provide ?
This discussion is basically on all the hardware forums.. *yawnings*
I think its too soon to say we need an i7 to play, the framerate will be better if you speed that money on the gpu.

NOTE : we allready saw games where the recommanded editor setup was an i7, I allready tested, it runs perfect on an i5. When it runs bad on an i5 it will still runs bad on the i7, thats because its badly coded (like watchdogs).

I'll take an i5 (not necessary the devils canyon, the haswell is 95% the same), and a 970/980 msi gaming because its silent, or a r9 290 tri-x or vaporx only if I dont want to spend too much money.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert
(03-21-2015, 04:53 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: For the record there are games that are worse than ratchet and clank. Zone of Enders 2, Champions or Norath: Return to Arms, and Valkyrie Profile 2: Slimeria.

I do not. But I do play DQ8, Shadow of the Collossus and GoW 1 and 2
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
Keep your 2500k dude, you will be disappointed.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert