CPU and GPU not using full potential, only 30 FPS!
Right, first off, im fairly new to this programme. Ive been using emulators for ages but ive never tried using a PS2 emulator. That said i think this thing is great and i love being able to put in my old discs and play.

My problem is that even though Im running a very fast PC, this programme runs with lowish frame rates. I checked in task manager and my CPU never goes over 50%. This makes sense becaus eive heard that PCSX only uses two cores, and im on a quad. But not one single core goes over 50%. I would expect 2 to go at 100% and the others to just tick over.

My GPU is also very fast and yet its seems to be doing nothing, literally 0% activity, most of the time. Every once in a while i see it jump to about 20%, but quickly returns to 0%.

My specs are :

CPU: AMD x4 Phenom II 970 @ 3.5GHz (quad core)
GPU: AMD radeon HD 6870
RAM: 6GB

Im also running the latest version of the emulator. (0.9.8 rev 4600) i think its called

Ive tried a few different modes and settings on PCSX, but seeing as i dont really know what im doing, im not sure if what im doing is any good. Tried changeing aspect ratios, resolutions, DX9 HW mode, DX11 HW mode, SW mode for each, etc. Nothing gets me past 30 FPS.

I really want to play Gran turismo 3 a spec at 60 FPS, or at a respectable framerate. I dont have a working disc anymore (scratched to hell) so im waiting for it to finish downloading. Ive been testing Burnout Revenge in the mean time and no matter what i do I cant get it past 30 FPS in-game.

I dont know what they mean, so if somebody could explain that'd be great, but theres two things at the top of my window.
EE : 100% <-- This is usually at around 100%
GS : 19% <-- This varies from 0 to 30%, but never goes over.

Any and all suggestions welcome, this is driving me insane.

Sponsored links

Windows automatically distributes the work across CPU cores. Open Task Manager, right click PCSX2 process and choose Set Affinity, stick 2 cores and you'll see what you expected.
If u use the MVU Hack (In the later SVN Builds) U notice that they finally start using cores #2 and #3 perhaps Smile
(09-19-2011, 08:09 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: If u use the MVU Hack (In the later SVN Builds) U notice that they finally start using cores #2 and #3 perhaps Smile

actually PCSX2 now support quad core because it have 4 threads :

EE ( Emotion Engine ) GS ( Graphics synthesizer ) VU1 ( Vector Unit 1 ) UI ( GUI thread )

But you don't notice activity Wink

run the BIOS @ 2048x2048 and see how EE and GS ( possibly VU1 but didn't test it ) get maximized Biggrin
Thanks for the quick replies!

@Livy I did that and yes you are right.

@StriFe79 Im sorry i have no idea what MVU hack is, nor do i know what SVN builds are. I get thats its a different "version" but what does it mean/do?

@abdo123 I ran the bios at that resolution.
EE : 50% GS : 5% UI : 0-3% FPS : 50

Why is my GPU still inactive? is the GPU actually used to play the game?
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Gran-Turi...aggy-on-i7
Thats not good... Ill try overclocking, but its not looking good Sad

So is it just a case of the CPU not being powerful enough then?
(09-19-2011, 09:24 PM)Avose Wrote: Thats not good... Ill try overclocking, but its not looking good Sad

So is it just a case of the CPU not being powerful enough then?

No. You probley dont have Speed hacks enabled. i have a X4 955 @ 3.7ghz slightly faster than yours with a 5770 GPU.

Most Games if not all need some form of speed hacks to get up to full speed.
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]
GT4 ran 60+ fps on my end with no speedhacks enabled. If you're having fps issue then its most likely your pc hardware isn't good or fast enough.
apparently AMD+ATi is the worst combination for pcsx2, according to people who have tried both, there are threads discussing this, add that GT3 is among the hardest to emulate game and there you go.