Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU good enough? Check passmark!
I suggest you just add a minimum "Passmark" for what CPU is OK or not for PCSX2.
My system is "barely" running FFX in 1920X1200 ( including native at same setting ) with all working and effective speedhacks on, only having some minor slowdowns here and there, so it's a nice baseline.

( Yes, I finally caved in and overclocked to 3Ghz, the slowdowns were getting annoying xD )

At 3Ghz, I get a CPU Passmark of 2333.7 ( not complete rating, only CPU )
I will guess PCSX2 r1888 will work for some around 2000.
Would be nice with some posts on others CPU Passmarks here to get a baseline Smile

Just thinking this will be a much easier and correct way for people to check if their CPU is good enough.

EDIT : ONLY POST YOUR PASSMARK CPU RATING HERE ALONG WITH YOUR CPU AND CURRENT SPEED AND HOW YOUR DIFFERENT GAMES RUN ON PCSX2 AND THE VERSION OF PCSX2

That way we can see if the Passmark actually fits as well as it does for other softwares. If you got issues with the SUGGESTION, PM me, don't mess up the thread.
Also, since people don't seem to get it, PCSX2 forum gets tons of people asking if their CPU is good enough in addition to "WHY IS IT SO SLOOOW".
Well, that's because they check the list, see a CPU that fits theirs and should run OK, whilst their CPU is in a little different class that is crap.
CPU : Intel i7-2600K
GPU : nVidia Geforce GTX 970
RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3
PCSX2 : Constantly changing.

Sponsored links

Synthetic benchmarks don't give a decent example of RWP.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(11-09-2009, 10:11 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: Synthetic benchmarks don't give a decent example of RWP.

Passmark does a very well job at it. It IS considered the #1 way of comparing CPU's real performance as it test several completely different operations in addition to checking for tech.
I suggest however running 3 passes of the CPU test, since it varies a bit depending on what services etc. are interfering.
EDIT : my gf's Athlon gets around 50-75% of the FPS I get in the same scenes. The CPU kicks in at the exact same difference in Passmark.
I can drop the data on that tomorrow, I'm not at her place now Tongue
The number one way, is real world performance, a 3GHZ C2D is advised.
Your problem is probably your resolution anyways..
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(11-09-2009, 10:16 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: The number one way, is real world performance, a 3GHZ C2D is advised.
Your problem is probably your resolution anyways..

I don't have a problem Tongue As I said, it runs just fine on mine after I clocked it from 2.66GHz to 3GHz. It mostly boils down to the CPU. Unless you have a REALLY crappy GPU ofc.
And looking at the posts here, the sticky CPU list is very wrong.
you can test it with your passmark program. but some games are not as well emulated as others and thus need more computer power.
you'd have to run a passmark for every game or something. which is complicated and time consuming.

why not fire up pcsx2 and take a look ?
Then why, may I ask, do PCSX2 even HAVE a list of CPU's in a list ranging from impossible to good?
And the REASON I suggested it was because most people keep asking if their systems are fast enough or why everything is so slow.
Also, that is not the way you use Passmark, Passmark checks your CPU in different tasks on how well it performs, PERIOD, you don't run it more than once.
And as I said, everyone else is using it for CPU-intensive software, why shouldn't PCSX2?
If I had known a Passmark Baseline, I would have known my GPU wasn't the problem even at max. resolution with filters, it was the bloody CPU not performing and then I overclocked so I reached the Passmark and then all was fine.

Now, can we please have some examples as I asked for instead of negative comments? Since that was the purpose of the post.
Don't get me wrong, I accept feedback, I just wanted to see if we could get a lot of nice Passmarks and actually SEE the relation without other comments.
The same people that already read the requirements in the FAQ will also read whatever you propose. In other words, no one, so it's no use anyway.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
What bosit says.
In the end people just run pcsx2 on whatever they have. If it's fast, they're happy.
If it's slow, they come here and open the "is my computer fast enough" thread.
This won't change the next 5 years Tongue2
Can someone delete this entire thread? It got worthless and chaotic in no time xD

but I agree with you Bosit and rama, however, I thought it would be interesting to see the fact that the CPU rating fitted so well with the PCSX2 performance and get a nice baseline for good users, but now the thread is all messed up allready, no one posted what I asked for, only negative critics.