CPU ranks- Athlon II X4 620, Phenom II X4 955, Core i5 750
I hear a lot about AMD and Intel processors here, but a couple of the new ones I don't hear much about. I wanted to ask if anyone had a comparison on how well these CPU's performed with PCSX2. The one I do know some about is the Phenom II, which will likely get good speeds. But the others, I've not heard much about. Very soon, I'm planning on building a new PC. I'm considering several CPU's, and I'm not going to spend but around $700-$800 on the entire thing. Just wanted some advice on the CPU's and such.

The CPU's I'm considering, and would appreciate some non-biased comparisons and advice on-
--------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2ghz (stock) $190
This one i'm heavily considering. It's a good CPU and has nice motherboards, many of which allow you to upgrade the CPU if needed. It can also overclock really well on air cooling, which I would do (upwards of 4ghz). It's the Black Edition. I do realize that PCSX2 will run a bit worse on AMD's thanks to missing instruction sets seen in Intels.
Intel Core i5 750 2.66ghz (stock) $200
This is the one I'm most curious about. Many people love the core i7, but i don't see much info about the i5. I'm really not sure how well it will perform in pcsx2, how well it overclocks (on air), or even how good of a CPU it is overall. I'd appreciate some feedback on this one.
AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6ghz (stock) $100
Yeah, I don't expect to get this one. I don't know much about it, except that it is a stripped down Phenom II missing some pretty major features. I've heard it's not as easy to overclock, but i'm not even sure how well it overclocks. The one thing I do know, the price is cheap cheap cheap. It's a quad core at half the price of the big boys I had above. Not likely to get this one though, but I appreciate some opinions.

So yeah. I did make a topic a while back about building a new PC. My allotted amount I can spend has changed though. I was going to only spend $500, now i'm willing to spend $700-$800. I have the other components figured out, so no need to worry about that. My main concern is the CPU. I'm just not sure what to do there. The Phenom II and i5 are very similar in price, but each have their pro's and cons. I don't know much about the i5 at all, and i'm not sure how well it works in pcsx2.

I should mention the things I intend to do with them. I will be getting a quad core, I know PCSX2 and other things don't use but 2 cores, but I have other things to take advantage of it. Here's some things I'd use the PC for-

- PCSX2
- Dolphin
- general gaming at fair speeds (like Crysis at 30-60fps)
- basic computing of course
- HD movie viewing
- possibly some video encoding, and recording some game footage

So any advice or information about CPU's is welcome. I am not getting a core i7 though, way out of my league. Thanks in advance.

NOTE- I DO plan on overclocking whatever CPU I'd get. I'm getting a third party Cooler Master heatsink, so I can get it reasonably cool at higher speeds. Just in case overclocking determines how good the CPU can really get.
System- Custom Build
CPU- Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2ghz
Memory- 8GB DDR3
Video Card- EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
OS- Windows 10 Pro x64

Sponsored links

i'd definitly go for the i5 750, benchmarks show its better in gaming than i7 920
also overclocks well (3,5~4Ghz)

and intels tend to work better on pcsx2 then amd's
[Image: 1454055.png]
pcsx2 dont depends on cpu at 100% 55% cpu and about 45% gpu. and defently i will choose the i5
Core i5 pretty popular eh? At the very least, I'm covered with the GPU. I'm planning on getting a Radeon 4870 or something along that generation line.
System- Custom Build
Memory- 8GB DDR3
OS- Windows 10 Pro x64
(10-16-2009, 09:48 AM)coder_fx Wrote: pcsx2 dont depends on cpu at 100% 55% cpu and about 45% gpu. and defently i will choose the i5

You've pulled those numbers out of nowhere.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
I'd also suggest a core i5 even though the Phenoms are better value for money. The difference between i5 and i7 is triple channel RAM support and less threads (i5 has 4 cores and 4 threads while i7 has 4 cores but 8 threads). Both of which should have little to no effect for PCSX2. A nicer detailed comparison table between the i5-i7 models can be found here from guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=19433

coder_fx stop pulling percentages out of your ass. Emulation is very heavily CPU bound but it also needs a mid-range (nowadays) graphics card to perform properly. So the general rule is get the fastest CPU you can and a 9800 class or so graphics card. Some games don't need anything better than even an 9600. No percentages and stuff, no one knows or can calculate things like that.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I do suppose better GPU's are used for playing games at higher resolution with AA and such enabled. They just let the games run better at better looking settings.

I'm now considering i5's since people say it's close to an i7. Phenom II's might be a better priced line, but as you can see, not the one I was considering. The difference is like $10. The motherboard is what is going to change the price factor I suppose.

BTW, does anyone know how much a Core i5 can overclock stable to? I'd be using air cooling (not the stock fan).
System- Custom Build
Memory- 8GB DDR3
OS- Windows 10 Pro x64
(10-16-2009, 10:04 AM)Sythedragon Wrote:
(10-16-2009, 09:48 AM)coder_fx Wrote: pcsx2 dont depends on cpu at 100% 55% cpu and about 45% gpu. and defently i will choose the i5

no i didn`t as you know pcsx2 uses 1 core for it and gsdx uses 1 so it doesn`t depends on number of cores it depends on the ghz anyway that means 50 % 50...
(10-16-2009, 10:15 AM)coder_fx Wrote:
(10-16-2009, 10:04 AM)Sythedragon Wrote:

no i didn`t as you know pcsx2 uses 1 core for it and gsdx uses 1 so it doesn`t depends on number of cores it depends on the ghz anyway that means 50 % 50...

Oh... My... Lord..
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(10-16-2009, 10:15 AM)coder_fx Wrote: no i didn`t as you know pcsx2 uses 1 core for it and gsdx uses 1 so it doesn`t depends on number of cores it depends on the ghz anyway that means 50 % 50...

Totally wrong. Get your facts straight and stop misinforming people. Yes one thread is for PCSX2 and one for the GS plugin. The GS thread rarely goes over 40% usage and even when it does, it is because people are using high internal resolutions, which you can lower at any time if it affects your speed. Also even if there is only 1 thread for the PCSX2 core, that thread ALWAYS gets used to 100% since there are so many more things it has to do as opposed to the GS thread. So the more Ghz per core you have, the faster that thread will process things. The other thread rarely has an impact on speed (except the times when people use extremely high internal resolutions as i noted before).

Quote:I do suppose better GPU's are used for playing games at higher resolution with AA and such enabled. They just let the games run better at better looking settings.

I'm now considering i5's since people say it's close to an i7. Phenom II's might be a better priced line, but as you can see, not the one I was considering. The difference is like $10. The motherboard is what is going to change the price factor I suppose.

BTW, does anyone know how much a Core i5 can overclock stable to? I'd be using air cooling (not the stock fan).

Correct, the more powerful your GPU the higher resolutions you'll be able to use with more games.
i5 seems to overclock around 3,6 - 3,8 but you never know, it might be lower if you get a bad piece. If you get it to around 3,6 it will be enough for a large majority of games though Wink
[Image: newsig.jpg]