CPU
(11-15-2009, 11:58 PM)trogoldito Wrote: Anyhow, turbo boost is really strange. I tested those settings using Prime95 for 4 hours on each thread setting (1-4). It also passed 4 runs of Memtest86+ and 50 runs of linx on each thread setting (1-4). You would think it would be pretty stable right? But my PC has frozen several times while doing non-stressful things like websurfing or watching videos. I can't move the mouse cursor and no keys respond.

I thought it might have something to do with the frequency being too high when it goes into x9 multiplier thus the processor is not receiving enough power to run at 1,440 mhz (where it should be at 1,170 mhz). So I went into the bios and turned up the vcore offset to +0.0500 so it could have more juice when in idle mode.

But then when I would stress test my vcore was going up to 1.40! I need this setup to last as I'm a full time student and will probably not have enough cash to buy another PC for a good 3-4 years. So I decided to forget about overclocking with turbo on. I'll just run at stock with turbo and set up an overclocked bios profile for running CPU intensive programs like PCSX2.

I hate to jump into an older thread, but I know why this happens and how you and anyone else who experiences it can fix it; the same thing happens on laptops. Download RMClock and set up a profile under performance on demand, then set up your own multiplier steps and voltages for each. On laptops, the lowest voltage can easily pair with the lowest multiplier, and it's easy to find a low stable voltage for the top step, but it's always the transition steps that hang the system. Manually bump up the v-core for the middle steps and select which ones you want the system to use, and you should be set for a killer overclock without permanent overvoltage. You can really tweak the hell out of the voltages to control power use if you don't mind a lot of hangs, too.

Sponsored links