Calling all Translators! PCSX2 GUI is ready for translation!
Simplified Chinese PO files (zh_CN)

Template updated to latest revision with msgmerge. All strings are translated. Not throughly reviewed and tested though.

EDIT:
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=921

Sponsored links

Just a heads up:
It looks like Air is busy these days (can't say for how long).
Updates will therefore be slow since he handles all the code and design aspects of the translations.
(12-07-2010, 08:35 AM)pcsx2fan Wrote: Recent revisions of 0.9.7 can recognize zh_TW with only the pcsx2_Main.mo translated from the main POT.

File and folder structure
Code:
Pcsx2 0.9.7's main directory\Langs\zh_TW\pcsx2_Main.mo

I was imagining/predicting the main PO file would help the Team debug the GUI Translation System, thus upload it as soon as finish translating it.

Yes, thank you. It will be quite helpful. Smile

Quote:I'll submit the translation for the other two POTs in a few days, then formally announce my translation at the Issues department of Pcsx2's Googlecode.

That's fine, but don't knock yourself out yet. I'm very busy with other things right now, and it might be a few days before I can finalize all the details and error reports.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(12-07-2010, 04:29 AM)Whistler Wrote: just a note: translating pcsx2_Iconized.pot and pcsx2_Tertiary.pot is a little "tiresome" compared to "usual" gnu gettext translations... also in this way if some strings are changed (especially eg. format change) in future it would not be very easy to find out with msgmerge in the "usual" way.

If anything changes significantly enough to merit new translation, the identifier will be changed as well, so identifying things that need translation update won't be hard. The other reason I went with this system is because we frequently tweak punctuation, capitalization, and wording of the English versions of long messages (happens a lot on international projects -- not everyone on the team writes English as their first language). This way, when we do change those sort of things, existing translations won't need any msgmerge chores to still "work."

(I'm reminded of when we decided to change from Pcsx2 to PCSX2, and it broke a whole bunch of translation strings in 0.9.5/0.9.6 for example).

This was a really hard decision for me to decide to use the iconized translations. One of the other reasons I really opted for it is because its so difficult to do unicode-compliant multi-line (in source code) messages using gnu gettext (due to the char/wchar_t/wxChar macros required to ensure compilation on different UTF8/16/32 platforms). Diving the messages into many individual gettext lines would be another approach, but that comes with its own headaches.

But yea, I do realize its very hard to do those translations using a standard text editor approach to POT->PO translation. It would also be nice if I could include the full original english string as a comment in the POT file -- without having to copy/paste the whole thing as a comment in the source code. For that, though, I'd really need to write my own gettext parser, and I don't want to. Tongue2
(12-04-2010, 09:12 PM)pcsx2fan Wrote: In the GUI Translation, zh_TW represents Chinese, Chinese (Traditional) and Chinese (Taiwan) at the same time, according to http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/wiki/Supp...t#B_thru_D. This makes people confused which one is supposed to choose.

I suppose zh_TW should only represent Chinese (Traditional) in International Regulation, in contrast to Chinese (Simplified).

I agree, and I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, wxWidgets has my hands tied here. For some reason the wxWidgets table has multiple instances of Chinese mapped to zh_TW. It does the same thing for en_GB, which applies to 'English' and 'English (G.B.)', and a couple others. In each case, the only difference is the sub-language', and I'm not really sure what that's even supposed to do -- I think it affects Windows' date/time formatting and other useless crap.

This is stuff deep inside wxWidgets, and I can't fix it. What's worse, it doesn't matter which you select, it'll always default to the first one anyway since PCSX2 stores things by canonical name. I might be able to ignore the duplicates though. I'll whip something up and commit it. Let me know if it behaves more favorably.

Quote:It shows different incarnations of zh_TW when choosing a language in First Time Configuration Wizard. Also you can ONLY select a language between OS Default(here is Chinese (Taiwan) a incarnation of zh_TW) and English, there ought to be a list of all available languages to pick.

This is by design. It only shows languages that PCSX2 has recognized/installed translations for (ie, for which it can find existing MO files).
Here the OS Default Language is Chinese (Taiwan), which transforms into Chinese (Traditional) in GUI Translation.

What happened when Select a language in First-Time Wizard.

Firstly - When the Langs folder doesn't exist
The behaviour changed from r4076 to r4079.

r4076 shows you:
r4076 Wrote:System Default [Chinese]
English

r4079 only shows you:
r4079 Wrote:System Default [Chinese]
where the missing English from r4079 should be reserved anyways, as built-in language.

Secondly - Plus the Langs folder containg subfolder zh_TW
r4079 shows you:
r4079 Wrote:System Default [Chinese]
Chinese (Traditional)
Where redundant language terms Chinese and Chinese (Taiwan) from r4076, are removed, as I expected. Smile

But System Default [Chinese] should be System Default [Chinese (Traditional)]. Where I found System Default [Chinese (Simplified)] displaying correctly, when temporarily switch the OS Default Language to Chinese (PRC), which transforms into Chinese (Simplified) in GUI Translation. r4079 without Langs folder shows you:
r4079 Wrote:System Default [Chinese (Simplified)]

Thirdly - the Langs folder containg subfolder de_DE and sv_SE derived from Googlecode Issues, in addition to zh_TW
Fortunately I can see the prototype of showing all CURRENTLY available languages in First-Time Wizard. Smile
[Image: r4079-multi-language-prototype.png]

(12-08-2010, 05:29 AM)Air Wrote:
pcsx2fan Wrote:Also you can ONLY select a language between OS Default and English, there ought to be a list of all available languages to pick.

This is by design. It only shows languages that PCSX2 has recognized/installed translations for (ie, for which it can find existing MO files).
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W
(12-09-2010, 05:26 AM)pcsx2fan Wrote: Here the OS Default Language is Chinese (Taiwan), which transforms into Chinese (Traditional) in GUI Translation.

Ok, I'll change it to use (Taiwan) instead of (Traditional). I wasn't sure which was more current in wxWidgets. The English built-in option will be re-added as well. I accidentally removed it.
Oops, my apologies if you misinterpreted what I said. Sad
(12-09-2010, 08:37 AM)Air Wrote:
(12-09-2010, 05:26 AM)pcsx2fan Wrote: Here the OS Default Language is Chinese (Taiwan), which transforms into Chinese (Traditional) in GUI Translation.

Ok, I'll change it to use (Taiwan) instead of (Traditional). I wasn't sure which was more current in wxWidgets.

Yes, Chinese (Taiwan) is Chinese (Taiwan) and should be stored as Chinese (Taiwan), but need to convert to and displayed as Chinese (Traditional) when select a language in First-Time Wizard. As well as Chinese (Hongkong) and Chinese (Macau) are also belonging to Chinese (Traditional).
(12-06-2010, 11:13 PM)pcsx2fan Wrote: Conclusions

Chinese (Simplified) zh_CN includes:
Code:
Chinese (Simplified) zh_CN
Chinese (Singapore) zh_SG

Chinese (Traditional) zh_TW includes:
Code:
Chinese zh_TW
Chinese (Traditional) zh_TW
Chinese (Hongkong) zh_HK
Chinese (Macau) zh_MO
Chinese (Taiwan) zh_TW

Pay attention to the definition of zh_TW:
  • in particular, it represents Chinese (Taiwan). But rarely used I think.
  • in general, it reprents Chinese (Traditional). This is common usage in public, by International Regulation.

Also the magnificent language list that Microsoft made for windows 7, self-explained the relationship among ALL language terms of Chinese.
[Image: Windows_7_Lists_Chinese_Simplified_and_Traditional.png]

so what I said is the normal behaviour/appearance I expected, showing Chinese (Traditional) for Chinese (Taiwan), in the First-Time Wizard.
[Image: r4079-multi-language-prototype.png]

Therefore zh_TW subfolder inside Langs folder, should be standing for Chinese (Taiwan), Chinese (Hongkong) and Chinese (Macau). And then, displayed as Chinese (Traditional) in the First-Time Wizard.
durable PC since 2008
(12-09-2010, 02:05 PM)pcsx2fan Wrote: Therefore zh_TW subfolder inside Langs folder, should be standing for Chinese (Taiwan), Chinese (Hongkong) and Chinese (Macau). And then, displayed as Chinese (Traditional) in the First-Time Wizard.

Ok. wxWidgets has different language codes for Hong Kong and Macau, so I can just let wx handle them normally, more-or-less. They're just dialects and probably never need their own specific translations anyway, but that's fine. I'll see about fixing the naming scheme -- adding Simplified/Traditional. Ideally this would be something fixed on wxWidget's side of things; but I can hack something in to intercept the wx filename and fix it to something more sensible -- matching the microsoft table in your screenshot.
known issues on r4080

when os default language is Chinese (Taiwan)
The 2nd option Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) should be Chinese (Traditional).
[Image: r4080_Language_List_for_OS_Taiwan.png]

Choosing the 1st option System Default [Chinese (Traditional)] when select a language, reflects the following messages in Log Window eventually.
[Image: r4080_Log_Window_for_OS_Taiwan.png]
where:
  • the 1st line that refers to language is apparently meaningless and should be removed:
    Log Window Wrote:Unrecognized language canonical name 'default'

• at the end of the 2nd line that refers to language, 'Chinese' [zh_TW] should be 'Chinese (Traditional)' [zh_TW].
    Log Window Wrote:Loading language translation databases for 'Chinese' [zh_TW]

Choosing the 2nd option Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) when select a language, reflects the following messages in Log Window eventually.
[Image: r4080_Log_Window_for_OS_Taiwan-2.png]
where at the end of the 1st line that refers to language, 'Chinese (Taiwan)' [zh_TW] should be 'Chinese (Traditional)' [zh_TW].
Log Window Wrote:Loading language translation databases for 'Chinese (Taiwan)' [zh_TW]
durable PC since 2008