Can 1.6 and 1.7 coexist?
Greetings! I currently have the 1.7 nightly version seamlessly running on my native Ubuntu setup. I aspire to leverage my buzzers using the 1.6 plugin, acknowledging the potential to map buzzer buttons in the nightly version, albeit with a non-functional light feature. Is there a viable method to concurrently install both the 1.6 and 1.7 nightly versions? While considering the option of employing pcsx2-v1.6.0-linux-AppImage-32bit, I encounter the constraint of being unable to install my plugin in a temporary folder. Apologies for any linguistic limitations in conveying my query.

Sponsored links

No worries about your English, it's clear and concise! I understand your desire to run both PCSX2 1.6 and 1.7 simultaneously on your Ubuntu setup to utilize the 1.6 plugin and enjoy functional light bars. Unfortunately, directly running them alongside each other isn't recommended due to potential conflicts.

While you can't install the plugin in a temporary folder with the AppImage, you can create a dedicated "plugins" folder within the same directory as the AppImage itself. Install your plugin there, and it should be recognized by PCSX2. Setting up a virtual machine specifically for the 1.6 version gives complete isolation and allows plugin installation in any location. Tools like VirtualBox or KVM are good options. If you're comfortable, dual-booting Ubuntu and installing each PCSX2 version on a separate system partition allows independent usage without conflicts.
I don't get it. They can absolutely coexist on the same computer. Put 1.7 and 1.6 into different folders and make them share the memcards, games, and bios folders in the settings. Savestates are not compatible but in-game saves are. Then use whichever one works best for each application. You cannot use features or plugins from one in the other, but if some games work better in 1.6... use 1.6.