Can GSDX use multi-pass shaders ?
I have question does GSDX support multi-pass shaders ?

Sponsored links

So does anyone know ?
let's quote rama here. that's buzzword calling... huh? it's not working like that.

what multipass? what part? what for? what you wanna do? it depends on how it's implemented.

the screenspace shader does multipass if you asking for that. per pixel pass functions. first pass sharpen, second pass contrast... next pass... next pass... next pass... that is logically multipassing. and fast. the intermediate pass result are held in a register instead of writing to memory and repassing the whole surface. if you need more stuff you gotta add it as more inputs. that's what's it to code.
So are Asmodeans GSDXFX shaders multi-pass ?
logically... yes they are. Smile
How many passes at most does it support ?
Huh i haven't tried to reach any limits for 5.0 shaders, but... let's google...

65536 instruction slots minimum and basicly open end. executing instructions are unlimited. so... if you just have a lot of time letting the compiler compile the shader and the possibity to fill megabytes of video memory with shader code where the only limit is the hardware resource size which i think i found is 128 MB on debug level, this would be... ehh... ugh... i have no idea how many passes one could cram in there. A LOT. sure not that fast in realtime. Laugh
(05-25-2014, 08:08 PM)dabore Wrote: Huh i haven't tried to reach any limits for 5.0 shaders, but... let's google...

65536 instruction slots minimum and basicly open end. executing instructions are unlimited. so... if you just have a lot of time letting the compiler compile the shader and the possibity to fill megabytes of video memory with shader code where the only limit is the hardware resource size which i think i found is 128 MB on debug level, this would be... ehh... ugh... i have no idea how many passes one could cram in there. A LOT. sure not that fast in realtime. Laugh

For example Retroarch can use shaders with up to 8 passes so GSDX has no limit ?
retroarch uses 8 shaders. and renders 8 passes after each other. rerendering the complete screen 8 times. with all the api footprint. it's slow.

gsdx renders 1 shader in 1 pass but it can have - like asmodean's has - per pixel pass functions upto whatever you wanna cram in there. it's unlimited. yes.

the only limit is the speed you achieve or not anymore doing a lot of passes. Laugh
(05-25-2014, 09:07 PM)dabore Wrote: retroarch uses 8 shaders. and renders 8 passes after each other. rerendering the complete screen 8 times. with all the api footprint. it's slow.

gsdx renders 1 shader in 1 pass but it can have - like asmodean's has - per pixel pass functions upto whatever you wanna cram in there. it's unlimited. yes.

the only limit is the speed you achieve or not anymore doing a lot of passes. Laugh

So it cant use multi-passes after all. But I heard Asmodean shaders had gamma pre-pass or something ?