Can my computer really not Hack it?
Im having a hard time beleving my 2500 dollar alienware can rock out with 30 fps on Conan on high video settings, but cant play dark cloud.

I get 30-40 fps during town, less in dungeons and combat
10-20 during cutscenes

And ppl and objects are sometimes only half rendered, and by sometimes I mean a lot.

My specs

My graphics config

My cpu config

any suggestions?

Sponsored links

(02-27-2009, 02:18 AM)Wizard21 Wrote: Im having a hard time beleving my 2500 dollar alienware can rock out with 30 fps on Conan on high video settings, but cant play dark cloud.

I get 30-40 fps during town, less in dungeons and combat
10-20 during cutscenes

And ppl and objects are sometimes only half rendered, and by sometimes I mean a lot.

any suggestions?

Well, PCSX2 Snapshot versions (the newest betas) probably aren't compatible with that game YET, and very well could be in the near future. I don't know for sure, since I can't test it. But one thing's for sure, your PC's specs are quite sufficient to run PCSX2.
from looking at your setup... personally I cannot see why your PC is not running Dark Cloud at full speed. I compared your setup to mine... and since a Q6600 is quad and PCSX2 only has support for dual core ATM... i believe you should be getting full speed on that game specifically since I do but there may be differences in hardware and plugins that I do not know about on your end that would maybe cause the game to lag. I can only see a few differences from your pictures...

My Specs:
Windows XP SP2 64bit/Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
4gb 2x2gb DDR21066 OCZ RAM
Q6600 Quad Core OC'd to 3.0ghz (2.4ghz default)
EVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 OC'd to 650/1400/1150

PCSX2 (beta) 592 SVN

Plugins:
GSDX 890 SSSE3 0.1.14
depends on the game but I usually use P.E.Op.S. SPU2 1.9.0
CDVD 0.1.0
SSSPSX PAD Plugin 1.7.0

comparing my setup to yours and my plugins... I havent tried Dark Cloud on Vista yet, on XP though with this setup of plugins I can max out 60fps everywhere... in dungeons it can be 60 and sometimes 57fps but I think thats just a spike. compare my setup to yours and see if that helps you out at all.
From the pics, he is using a very old version of Pcsx2 (0.9.4). This may be the main cause. All games have some speed boost on DX10, so this is not a Vista issue.

Get the newest Pcsx2 and plugins from those links:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3800.html

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3031.html

Now, if you can compile the latest SVNs then do it instead.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

I'm sorry TC, but I just had to point out that you paid waaaay too much for that computer. You could've easily bought all those parts and built it yourself for $1200, maybe even $1000 if you knew where to shop.

Anyway, your emulator is outdated a ton. Use the newest beta and snapshot.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\
(02-27-2009, 07:11 AM)With Teeth Wrote: I'm sorry TC, but I just had to point out that you paid waaaay too much for that computer. You could've easily bought all those parts and built it yourself for $1200, maybe even $1000 if you knew where to shop.

mine I got for 800
MotherBoard:nForce750i
Cpu:Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz
Ram:2.0Gb @ 960 Mhz DDR2
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GT
Core Bus @ 733 Mhz
Memory Bus @ 1011 Mhz
(02-27-2009, 08:33 AM)AllexAshton Wrote:
(02-27-2009, 07:11 AM)With Teeth Wrote: I'm sorry TC, but I just had to point out that you paid waaaay too much for that computer. You could've easily bought all those parts and built it yourself for $1200, maybe even $1000 if you knew where to shop.

mine I got for 800

Let's stick to the thread ok ? Smile

It's obvious that :

- One you play on PCSX2 0.9.4 which like Gentleman said is way too old, check his links and try with an up-to-date emulator,
- Two, let's get rid of the idea that a ZOMG Alienware @ $ 2500 MUST play PS2 games on emulator @ 100 fps, that's not the case for every game..
PCSX2 runs only on 2 cores max, AND mainly needs CPU clock rather than anything else (an average graphic card will correctly do the job for PCSX2).

To sum up, you have to believe that you play with a E8400 @ 3Ghz on a too old emulator version, which is enough for some games, but not for other demanding ones.. Alienware or not, you will probably have a good rig to try an higher OC, so update your emu, try again, activate speedhacks and let us know if it is better Wink
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.7Ghz - Geforce GTX 280 1Go OCed @ 640/1400/1200 Mhz - 4Go RAM Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 - Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Series - Windows Vista Ultimate x64
(02-27-2009, 02:49 AM)Gentleman Wrote: From the pics, he is using a very old version of Pcsx2 (0.9.4). This may be the main cause. All games have some speed boost on DX10, so this is not a Vista issue.

Get the newest Pcsx2 and plugins from those links:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3800.html

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3031.html

Now, if you can compile the latest SVNs then do it instead.

Do I need all of those different versions? or just one with its respective plugins
The first link is for the latest Pcsx2 SVN snapshot and some plugins from February 18th

The second link is for the sound plugin SPU2-X. (I recommend this one)

The third link is for the GS plugin known as GSdx. (I recommend this one too)

You should get all of them.

Replace your current Pcsx2.exe for the one in the first link, located inside of your Pcsx2 directory. As for the plugins, put all of them inside the plugins folder locate inside the Pcsx2 directory too. Then go to the ini folder also located inside the Pcsx2 directory and delete all the files there to clear any Pcsx2 register from the older version. Then execute the new Pcsx2.exe and reconfigure it again.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

nvm, just realized one was graphics plugins and the other was sound