Can't Achieve Desire Framerate (60fps+)
I'm not new to computers or gaming, but new to the PlayStation 2 emulators. I'm having a particular sort of problem that I haven't been able to find on this or any other forum so far.

I downloaded the emulator, followed the setup guide according to my system specs 100%, and grabbed the bios from my PS2.

My first few attempts at getting the games to run successfully were off of the DVDs. After tweaking the graphics config, CPU config, Advanced config, and Speed Hacks, I was never able to get anymore than around 45fps.

For my next step, I used PowerISO to make images of each game to the C: drive and try again. I reset everything to the default options and tried again, going through a trial and error process of adding one thing at a time with no significant changes at all. It improved up to 50-55fps at most. Usually, though, it was much slower than that.

It occurred to me that there might be an issue with rendering graphics in the emulator. For example, I tried Gran Turismo 3. Menus and the like worked perfectly, but once the race began it slowed down considerably. Going around the track where there were fewer graphic models (less of a crowd, not as far draw distance, etc) increased the speed up to a native PS2 speed. I'm not entirely certain that's how emulators like this one work, though.

I can't seem to find any variety of settings that allows me to play any of my games at an optimal, playable level. And by playable, I mean something that runs remotely like a PlayStation2 all the time.

Specs
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core 2.5ghz
8gb DDR2 1066mhz RAM
ATI Radeon HD4870
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

PCSX2 v0.9.6
GSDx SSE2 0.1.15
Linuz Iso CDVD 0.9.0
USA v01.60 BIOS
SPU2-X 1.2.0 Sound (if that even matters)

Thanks to anyone who might be able to lead me in the right direction. Greatly appreciated.
[/b]

Sponsored links

Get the last official beta r1888 and you need more Ghz to run full speed same games...
3Ghz, to begin with...
I was thinking that also. What I don't get is that my processor doesn't run anywhere near capacity, though, when running these games. The only time it does is if I switch it over to Direct10 (Software) mode. During Direct10 (Hardware), my CPU barely reaches 50% processing power. That's with the processing priority set to high in both the emulator and the Task Manager. Not really understanding why this happens.
that is beacuse you have a quad core,and pcsx2 only supports two cores,so you wont get 100 % cpu usage anyway.
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
I'd say your biggest problem is your video card, it's not the worst but you could do better. I've been running an EVGA Geforce 260 GTX and have had no issues holding 60+ fps and my CPU really isnt that much faster then yours (2.6ghz Core 2 Duo).
i would have to disagree with Cold71, your graphics card is quite fine. CPU is more important, and having a higher clock is the best way to increase performance, the performance difference between a 2.5ghz dual core vs a 2.5ghz quad core for PCSX2 is minimal (1-5% increase in performance at best) while the difference between a 2.5ghz cpu vs a 3.5ghz cpu can be quite profound. (15-25% increase would be my guesstimate)
Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.8GHz
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
G.SKILL 12GB PC3 12800
Sapphire HD7870XT 2GB @ 1100/1500MHz
EVGA GeForce GT 430 1GB
OCZ GameXStream 850W
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Cooler Master HAF 932

(02-13-2010, 07:52 AM)Cold71 Wrote: I'd say your biggest problem is your video card, it's not the worst but you could do better. I've been running an EVGA Geforce 260 GTX and have had no issues holding 60+ fps and my CPU really isnt that much faster then yours (2.6ghz Core 2 Duo).

ATI Radeon HD4870 is more than enough.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit