Can't get FFXII to launch
(03-31-2009, 07:31 PM)Cain Wrote: newegg says it's possible to overclock it.

From the buyer reviews, there are plenty more people that say it can't be overclocked -- including one with my exact processor -- than say that it can. But I think it doesn't matter either way, because I don't know how to properly overclock. I'd likely end up frying my PC.

Sponsored links

(03-31-2009, 07:44 PM)smhjr1 Wrote:

From the buyer reviews, there are plenty more people that say it can't be overclocked -- including one with my exact processor -- than say that it can. But I think it doesn't matter either way, because I don't know how to properly overclock. I'd likely end up frying my PC.

Well, whatever, it's your choise. In your case it's easier to buy a new pc i suppose, hardware makers have to eat too and stuff.
(03-31-2009, 07:57 PM)Cain Wrote:
(03-31-2009, 07:44 PM)smhjr1 Wrote:

Well, whatever, it's your choise. In your case it's easier to buy a new pc i suppose, hardware makers have to eat too and stuff.

Using Foxconn's overclocking software, I was able to get the core frequency to 304 (1821.2 MHz) from 287 (1722.0 MHz), whatever the hell those numbers mean. If I go to 305, I get a blue screen error -- I tried enough times that I feel like I could break something soon, so I guess I'll be satisfied with that. In the only real test I did with FF XII, I think I was getting 3-4 extra FPS, so overall not bad.

Because I'm naturally greedy, the blue screen errors are related to USB drivers. Is there something that can be changed that would allow me to get past that?

Also, I was going from 304 to 306 each time I did it, is it possible that I would have more success going up one frequency number at a time?
Blue screens are caused by instability of the system overall. To make it more stable you need to raise voltages bit by bit and run some tests (the ones that would bring your processor load to about 80-100%) for about 1-2 hours. If nothing occurs you may rightfully say that your system is running stable.
(03-31-2009, 09:53 PM)Cain Wrote: Blue screens are caused by instability of the system overall. To make it more stable you need to raise voltages bit by bit and run some tests (the ones that would bring your processor load to about 80-100%) for about 1-2 hours. If nothing occurs you may rightfully say that your system is running stable.

Oddly enough, the Foxconn overclocking software will not allow me to change voltages. The tab is there, but it is grayed out. I'd use the BIOS to change the voltages but the motherboard user manual says that the tool takes control of those options if its launched -- plus, I don't understand any of the million found-on-Google explanations for computer voltage overclocking. So, I don't know if grayed out means that I can still change it in the BIOS or if there is some other issue going on. A note: the blue screen errors happen AS SOON as I change the frequency from 304 to 306.

Edit: Also, I just want to say, I really appreciate all the tips you've given me so far.
smhjr1:
Do not touch the voltages please. These are not for beginners.
If you increase the voltage for a component, its working temperature will rise very sharp.
If you set a too high voltage, well it will simply fry.
(03-31-2009, 10:01 PM)smhjr1 Wrote: Oddly enough, the Foxconn overclocking software will not allow me to change voltages. The tab is there, but it is grayed out. I'd use the BIOS to change the voltages but the motherboard user manual says that the tool takes control of those options if its launched -- plus, I don't understand any of the million found-on-Google explanations for computer voltage overclocking. So, I don't know if grayed out means that I can still change it in the BIOS or if there is some other issue going on. A note: the blue screen errors happen AS SOON as I change the frequency from 304 to 306.

Edit: Also, I just want to say, I really appreciate all the tips you've given me so far.

Well, if you're not touching voltages, you're stuck with whatever frequency doesn't make your system go BSOD.

And well, this isn't a hardware forum, I don't see a point in actually discussing OCing here. LaughD If there's no problem with the emulator, fine. If you want more speed by sqeezing it out of your pc - better take it to a dedicated place.

(03-31-2009, 10:13 PM)rama Wrote: smhjr1:
Do not touch the voltages please. These are not for beginners.
If you increase the voltage for a component, its working temperature will rise very sharp.
If you set a too high voltage, well it will simply fry.

You like to scare people or something ?Smile Overcloking is easy, period. We are not in 1999, today's hardware makes it a breeze. Just use a bit of brain and you can't break it.
It's better to scare a noob than telling him it's easy then letting him do something stupid like fry his PC because he thought it was easy. This is actually what we call better safe than sorry...and imo overclocking without having the appropriate knowledge can easily lead to frying something,nothing to do with brains but with knowledge and know-how.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-01-2009, 02:53 PM)Bositman Wrote: It's better to scare a noob than telling him it's easy then letting him do something stupid like fry his PC because he thought it was easy. This is actually what we call better safe than sorry...and imo overclocking without having the appropriate knowledge can easily lead to frying something,nothing to do with brains but with knowledge and know-how.

I disagree. It's better to teach someone something than say "don't touch that, it's bad".