Can't run properly Dragon Quest VIII
This is quite weird because I read the game should run smooth. Instead I have some relevant FPS problems right at the starting scene.

The weird part is that wheen slowdowns happen I usually see the EE value on top going to max, but in this case it's around 60%. Also, no setting seems to affect this situation. With all speedhacks enabled the game runs at the exact same speed as with all of them off. The GS value is also around 55%.

What's wrong?

Unrelated, I also have some slowdowns in certain scenes in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. In this case it's the EE getting maxed, but I wonder if there are some tips to make it run better (graphically is really, really barren so it's weird it runs slow).

Sponsored links

if your EE and GS are both reporting ~40-60% then one of the plugins (id guess SPU2 plugin first) is slowing you down. you could try fiddling around with them, possibly using SPU2Null as a test to see if it makes any difference. Also turn your console log on and see if that is flooding with anything, that could also cause massive slowdown for no reason. Oh! and if you're running from the DVD, consider ripping it to ISO and running from that, that would be much quicker.

In the case of Nocturne, speedhacks or overclocking are going to be your only options here, EE being max means your CPU is trying its hardest to emulate the game and cant do any more.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

SPU2Null has no effect but I think I figured out something.

The game goes to 60FPS (but without caps isn't much higher) if I set GSDX at 2x textures instead of 3x (but it looked so awesome...). So it seems entirely video card related. Though it isn't reported correctly by the emulator since the GS value is not maxed.

Btw, it's running from iso e the console shows everything ok.
(11-19-2010, 07:31 PM)Agito Wrote: SPU2Null has no effect but I think I figured out something.

The game goes to 60FPS (but without caps isn't much higher) if I set GSDX at 2x textures instead of 3x (but it looked so awesome...). So it seems entirely video card related. Though it isn't reported correctly by the emulator since the GS value is not maxed.

Btw, it's running from iso e the console shows everything ok.

Yeah, most of the times when your EE and GS % don't reach 90% but you experience low FPS, it means you are using a too high resolution.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 processor
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 650 MHz
Memory: 4GB RAM DDR2
Curious, why does that happen? Not enough video memory or bandwidth?
Windows 7 specific bug. Jake/Air explained it some time ago... somewhere... has to do with the way win7 and some drivers report the threads load. I consider it a feature like it is right now cause you can check the resolution fast if you get that problem, sometimes however not even resolution makes a difference and it's probably some other plugin like refraction said or like logging being slow by your HDD but not likely.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Ah yes, that article. GPU is overloaded but some of the GPU threads are reported as idle since they're still waiting on the other threads to finish before they can do their work.
This is 100% caused by a too low video memory bandwith. Settle for x2 scaling or buy a faster GPU Wink