Cant get cheats working...?
Hey there,

This is no doubt a stupid question but as i have followed the guides to the best of my ability i was wondering if i could get a hand.

I want to use cheats on the .hack series
Game crc: 38A894C6 (hack infection)

This is where my cheats are saved:
C:\Users\Ayrton\Documents\PCSX2\cheats_ws
(i also have a 'cheats' folder which has the same stuff in it)

The .pnach file is saved with the name '38A894C6'

also these are the cheats i found in the cheat/patch thread:

Code:
Game=Hack/Infection
comment=Virus cores
patch=1,EE,00A406CC,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406Cd,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406Ce,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406Cf,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d0,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d1,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d2,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d3,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d4,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d5,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d6,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d7,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d8,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406d9,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406da,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406db,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406dc,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406dd,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406de,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406df,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406e0,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406e1,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406e2,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406e2,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406e3,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406e4,short,0A
patch=1,EE,00A406E5,short,0A
//Data drain times
//Patch=1,EE,00A4622E,word,0000
//Experience Gain
//Patch=1,EE,00A46E68,word,0000

Am i doing something wrong?
Ive got cheats enabled in pcsx.

Add my skype if you think helping me via there would be easier: ayrtonmc

I dont mind giving the person whom helps me a paypal donation or something... lol

Thanks
Ayrton

Sponsored links

change short/word to extended, for not only are the types wrong, the address is wrong for this format; using extended will fix both. the cheats_ws folder is for widescreen hacks only, put yours in the cheats folder.
Actually is a total mess although Coornio is right certainly toward the fist part, those are clearly bytes (the addresses prove it unequivocally).

But the two last may still fail depending on what is recorded in those addresses already. This is due those two last addresses start with 0, what makes them byte and they are word (hopefully since could be short as well) and in this case the first digit MUST be changed to 2.

example:
//Patch=1,EE,20A4622E,extended,00000000

Since the code is commented it is inactive, even so it should be corrected... just in case...

besides, in all codes the values should be rewritten so they have eight hexadecimal digits, like 0000000A. I'm not sure how pnach's parser deals with leading zeroes but it is good keeping conventions nevertheless.

In time, just as curiosity and learning something about how the lengths affect the memory. Supposing those codes are correct to begin with
(and supposing the short and word don't "forcibly" realign the addresses to be multiple of 2 and 4 respectively). The codes would be writting 000A (due to the "short") in that memory region instead 0A, effectively erasing the previous code Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-13-2014, 01:03 PM)Coornio Wrote: change short/word to extended, for not only are the types wrong, the address is wrong for this format; using extended will fix both. the cheats_ws folder is for widescreen hacks only, put yours in the cheats folder.

(04-13-2014, 04:10 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Actually is a total mess although Coornio is right certainly toward the fist part, those are clearly bytes (the addresses prove it unequivocally).

But the two last may still fail depending on what is recorded in those addresses already. This is due those two last addresses start with 0, what makes them byte and they are word (hopefully since could be short as well) and in this case the first digit MUST be changed to 2.

example:
//Patch=1,EE,20A4622E,extended,00000000

Since the code is commented it is inactive, even so it should be corrected... just in case...

besides, in all codes the values should be rewritten so they have eight hexadecimal digits, like 0000000A. I'm not sure how pnach's parser deals with leading zeroes but it is good keeping conventions nevertheless.

In time, just as curiosity and learning something about how the lengths affect the memory. Supposing those codes are correct to begin with
(and supposing the short and word don't "forcibly" realign the addresses to be multiple of 2 and 4 respectively). The codes would be writting 000A (due to the "short") in that memory region instead 0A, effectively erasing the previous code Smile

I think some settings may be wrong....
As i checked over these cheats and tried others;
as well as tried some for the same god of war version i have and it still says "0 cheats loaded"

Any clue?
"0 cheats loaded" means the crc is wrong or the extension is txt,not pnach(38A894C6.pnach.txt)
It doesn't matter if the codes are wrong or not,"0 cheats loaded" means no codes are loaded.

short modifies two bytes but you have value only for one.
Change those "short" to extended and leave the first digit as 0
Change "word" to extended too and change the first digit of the address to 2
And change the value to 8 digits
About the .txt after the .pnach, that is a common issue aggravated because the .txt might be invisible, hidden by Windows itself.

If it is the case you should open an explorer window (that one you see files and folders, not Internet Explorer) and navigate thru it's properties till the "View" window and make sure the option about extensions for known files is set to "NOT hide them".

But from the first post, is the cheats directory the problem. The cheats should be in a directory under the directory PCSX2 is installed. And now you may be facing another terrible problem.

If you are under Windows Vista, 7 or 8 ... by all means, avoid installing ANY game under C:\Program Files (x86) ... not only avoid installing PCSX2 in that accursed directory but ANY game indeed. This alone will spare you a lot of problems.

Of course I'm not telling you to reinstall the games you have already installed, just avoid that directory in the future... yet do it for PCSX2 because it will spare you from headaches. That's because PCSX2 is plugin based and like any other game which uses plugins and or mods being installed under those specially protected Windows folders is the path of doom.

Resuming, just move PCSX2 folder and that other PCSX2 folder under Documents to inside C: directly so you get C:\PCSX2

Then create an empty .txt file and rename it to Portable.ini

That's all that's needed to prevent a lot of problems now and in near future.

Edit: If under Windows 8, avoid C: altogether like I learned from proper experience ... arghh MicroSoft, why so dumb security features is beyond sanity!
Imagination is where we are truly real