Cheats do nothing
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I'm new.

I used redlof's guide to convert codebreaker codes to pnach,
tried every possible way, and no matter what, the codes just don't do anything.
no crashing, no error message, it found the codes, just nothing.
I'm playing Phantom Brave, the crc is B43000A1, which is what i named the .pnach.
this is one of the codes.
patch=1,EE,0028C61E,byte,00000000
I'm using pcsx2 version 1.0.0
I have windows 7 32-bit. My laptop is about 5 years old, so it can't run most games without lag (using this emulator anyway), but it can run this one well enough.

If you need more information, i can get it, and please speak in newb talk.

Sponsored links

The cheats do work. You are just doing it wrong or the code itself is bad and doesn't work. Upload your Pnach file and I'll have a look at it. I do not have the game so I can't test it out.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
If you write a code like you did:
Code:
patch=1,EE,0028C61E,byte,00000000

You're not patching EE memory.
To correct it you either want it to be:
Code:
patch=1,EE,2028C61E,byte,00000000
or simply(and better)
Code:
patch=1,EE,0028C61E,extended,00000000
Soo yeah just change byte to extended(use notepad or any other text editor "replace all" to make it easy;p) and as long as code was correct for your game version it should work then.
Also make sure cheats are in correct folder(pcsx2/cheats) and they're enabled in pcsx2. Make note that if you change pnach or activate/deactivate cheats in pcsx2 you have to refresh the gui since as a lack of feature it doesn't do it automatically;]. Simplest way is just moving the slider in pcsx2 log, or saving/loading state.

The guide you read is probably even more ancient than your laptop;3 you can simply use Omniconvert and PCSX2CE to convert existing codes in just a few moments, basically omniconvert converts between different encoded formats to raw(or any other you selected becouse you have to select formats of input and output manually) and pcsx2ce add's all required(and some useless to keep it clean) formatting.
Yeah the PCSX2 only reads the raw format of codes. So convert all codes using gameshark as the output as GS is raw format.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
Awesome, that worked, miseru99. Thanks Laugh
Wrong, the cheat is doing something if you read x cheat codes found at the console, otherwise the emulator is not seeing the pnach file at all... what means it is plain wrong. Changing the first digit from 0 to 2 will not help (sorry miseru, proposing that change should be avoided at all cost for it could be cause of yet more confusion later on) in this case because the pnach module already does it internally, still the second proposition from miseru is the best, change the code descriptor to "extended" keeping the code original for it will read 0 as byte and 2 as word and the code never needs to be changed from the original raw.

The code you are using is already converted, just it is for wrong game version or region (or was converted from converted, what is equally bad), the advise is getting the original code once again and do the correct procedure from start.
Imagination is where we are truly real
All I did was use PCSX2CE, and one of the codes worked, but the other didn't. (I only have 2 cheats right now) didn't even see omniconvert. I'll use that now, and that will probably be all I need.
(04-09-2013, 11:56 PM)Bob423 Wrote: All I did was use PCSX2CE, and one of the codes worked, but the other didn't. (I only have 2 cheats right now) didn't even see omniconvert. I'll use that now, and that will probably be all I need.

That means the address is wrong but it is still being written and that could be a nasty thing and serious corruption.

Cheat codes are just it, take a value (the second hex number there) and put it on that address (that first hex number). the cheat engine don't check anything, the user is supposed to know what is being done.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-09-2013, 12:54 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: (...)Changing the first digit from 0 to 2 will not help (sorry miseru, proposing that change should be avoided at all cost for it could be cause of yet more confusion later on) in this case because the pnach module already does it internally
(...)

Well I dunno for 100% how the old method works don't really had much use for it since it doesn't allow any fun code types. It does work with 0 like you said, but saying it "does the job internally", is wrong. I have no clue why 0 works, it kind of breaks all sense of using old method in widescreen patches that were converted from elf hacks since extended would do exactly same job apparently@_@, but anyway if you had a short code starting with 1 it wouldn't work with old method and you would have to change it to 2 so your words are wrong as well and that discussion doesn't matter at all since everyone's agree old method is inferior and should be dumped/forgotten.
And don't confuse my words I never mix changing first byte with using extended and I didn't proposed it in any way, you always try a bit too hard to make yourself and your posts smarter than everyone else in the forum, but in the end you're just confusing the readers with walls of hard to understand theories and strange miss-interpretations of people's words;].

Going back to topic;3
We could aimlessly guess which is the case and make this thread grow without any practical use nor being any help, best if you simply posted the untouched codes you found or just link to them and if you had the codes from multiply places specify what game version do you have as well.

I couldn't find the code you posted at all using google, but by converting your code back from RAW to other encrypted code types I guess you're getting those http://cheats.codetwink.com/ps2/view/4342/2/
And the code you posted in the topic is the one for No Dark Alignment;3, just a bit of guessing on my part, but did you tried by any chance to use code for Max Dark Alignment along with the above?:3 Couse they patch same adress and only one works in result. ~_~