Buy i7 965?
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choice of new CPU?
So hello at all, im new to this forum but not entirely new to emulation etc.
So what i want to ask you here is the following:

I want to buy a new CPU next Month got this rig atm:

AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 GHz @ 3.8GHz

as GPU i atm got the Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

So the CPU i want to buy is the Intel Core i7 920 or 930 or 965
And my question now is: How much better is the performance from an oced I7 920,930 or 965 in comparison to an AMD Phenom II?

Is it worth Buying another CPU?

I can run Final Fantasy X-2 @ 3360x2100 fullspeed 60FPS except while rendering some effects durring battle (like fire magic), but what i want to play are my other games lying arround at home, like God of War I (40-50 FPS)

or Dawn of Mana at a stable speed.

Would be glad if anyone can help me here.

Sponsored links

Depends on what your doing... if the new CPU is SOLELY for PCSX2, you will get about a 15-20% better performance per clockrate versus the AMD. So the i7's to match the performance of the AMD at 3.8ghz need to be about 3.2ghz... To get noticeable improvement you'd have to get the i7's to about 3.5ghz.

of course your milage will vary... Some games will get more of an increase and others less.
[Image: 2748844.png]
none of the above
better get the intel's 2nd gen i5 2xxxK or i7 2xxxK models are pretty better than choosing an AMD or i7 920 or i7 930 or i7 965
and addition 2xxxK models can unlock the CPU multipliers can unleashed up to a megathrust 5Ghz.
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
No point in buying the first generation Core i7. Sandy Bridge is much better.
@tallbender
For the 5Ghz you surely need a Nitrogen Tank next to your computer connected to your Cooling Plate ;D
But isnt the i5 worse then the AMD 965? i always used AMD Almost my entire life, so i cant tell which to choose
i will contact rezard cause his 2500k is set to 4.9Ghz i wonder he uses a liquid nitrogen.

you may also PM him if necessary
http://forums.pcsx2.net/User-Rezard
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
The new i5/i7's don't require extreme cooling... Either high end air, or mid-level water would be sufficient.

i5's are the midrange, i7's are the high end... That said, Intel mostly seperates the two based on how many cores/hyperthreading/onboard cache. I don't know enough about intel's latest lineup to tell you what seperates the new i5/i7 line... But I can tell you it's probably not anything that would matter at all for PCSX2 performance or only just slightly.
15%-20% more perfomance would equal in 50FPS +10 FPS = 60 FPS (in theory) that said, even this would be nice.

And the AMD has it years now too. So i guess i will start looking up some reviews on these 2600k CPUs, until now i did not even know about them *shame on me*

My Budged is arround 500-600€ (Yeah i'm German).
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/10...cking.html

Good review site, put it right on the overclock section to show how high they could get on them with just air cooling.

There is no doubt Intel's latest line is absolutely killer... We can only hope that AMD's new bulldozer lineup will put them back in the game (yes yes, AMD fanboy here Wink). Sadly they won't be out anytime soon.

(edit) Some info on AMD's new lineup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_bulldozer Big things to note is that it will support SSE4.1 which will give a nice boost to PCSX2
There's no need for liquid cooling and the likes. A simple $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus does the trick. Wink

And there's no need for the 2600K (as far as PCSX2). The only real major difference from a 2500K to a 2600K is HyperThreading. Not really worth an extra $100 (USD). If you ask me, a 2500K is plenty, and there's no point in having 8 logical cores for now, anyway. Especially when 8 physical cores are likely just around the corner. If I understand correctly, Ivy Bridge is supposed to retain the 1155 socket, too.

BTW - Check out the benchmark for CPU that is stickied above this thread. You'll see the 2500K at the top of the board, beating the 2600K (I'd guess due to HT), and the 980X (even when at a lower clock rate).

If I understand right, AMD is gonna need more than just Intel's instruction sets to catch up to them (PCSX2). There's some particular calculation that AMD's architecture has always kinda sucked at (comparatively) that makes a big difference with PCSX2. I can't wait to see how they do, though. The market is so boring when it's "no competition".