Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing Forum Software
This is a question for fellow web-designers.

I've decided that I'm going to use my old forum host because I know them best, unless someone tells me I should really try MyBB or something.

There are four types of boards this host supports.
  • PhpBB 2
  • PhpBB 3
  • Invision
  • PunBB

People like phpBB 2 for customization, PhpBB 3 for more sleekness and simplicity, Invision for being a bit of both and PunBB is just outright light and simple.

So what's your take on it? Or should I try another option out there?
[Image: signat11.jpg]

My Guide to PCSX2 for Windows (outdated, but still generally accurate)

Sponsored links

^If I were you I would choose the most functional one... if you want a sleek forum but remember you are going to have to live with it in the end.
They're all very functional. The only difference between PhpBB 2 and PhpBB 3 is pretty much the ability to edit their HTML/PHP directly, though that is a fairly big feature.

However, PhpBB 3 also has functions that PhpBB 2 does not. One is obviously newer than the other. PhpBB 3 basically handles it's own code well already, and you can indirectly change the code through CSS, which is basically what a lot of people do.

All of them allow you to edit their pages and CSS of course.

still waiting for MyBB 1.6.9 to fix the broken post editor in Opera and firefox 15+

those fools program reactively instead of proactively
(07-23-2012, 05:06 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: still waiting for MyBB 1.6.9 to fix the broken post editor in Opera and firefox 15+

those fools program reactively instead of proactively

do we have version 15 in FireFox now they're totally mad Tongue
MyBB was one thing I considered since I saw PCSX2 was made using it. I haven't tried it yet. Is it much different than the others?

I don't have anything that'd work as a good server myself, so you have any recommendations for a webhost on that?

Edit : I'm a Chrome lover myself. It really is the best browser. Much benchmarking data and facts behind that statement, I'm not just talking out of my ass here.

hmm what kind of a forum your planing to get ( specialized in what ? )
It'll be a game and tech forum I think. Might be developing a few things too.

I thought I might make an emulator forum myself before, but I think there's already plenty of forums to support them already.

It might end up being more general than that though.

I've decided to go with phpBB 3 for now, since it has style I prefer more.

It doesn't really matter what style you choose because one cool thing about this host is that you're not stuck with whatever you choose - you can change at any time. They have a really good and simply CP which is why I like them.

What do you mean by "style"? Laugh