Poll: Should compatibility with different games be more detailed?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
68.97%
20 68.97%
No
31.03%
9 31.03%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Compatibility
(04-23-2009, 09:20 AM)Krakatos Wrote: 1) We do not endorse the use of any external patches, no matter what or who made it. Period. We do not want to be tangled with problems, support, and/or legal discussions about any of these.

yes, but even legit games need them. and gow 2 need pnatch file to work. this is what I'm gettign at. (I also said nothign about providing links to them either)

Sponsored links

(04-23-2009, 08:10 AM)Saiki Wrote: was thingkign more something like this:

Quote:God of War/SCUS-97399/U/PS2/Playable/0.9.6/notes: Requires Toxic DL patch

Biggrin agree with saiki...! small notes like that will be helpfull Closedeyes
Excl...................Tongue
(04-23-2009, 06:59 AM)roska.posti Wrote: No other emulator needs a such huge list. In PSX emulators there are only few games that do not work. It would be easier to list games that are not working and the list would be short. Same goes with n64 emulator. Also I do not see huge FPS variation in PSX games, they pretty much run the same ... You can say: "If one game runs well with your setup, it means all will run".

So you think when PSX emulators were the age of PCSX2 (because they are now like 13 years old) and had about the same compatibility thus they needed such a list they had one? No they didn't and no matter what you say,you are still being ungrateful. Again, since all testers have high end systems, it would provide almost zero extra info, since you knowing the game runs perfectly with a 4 Ghz Core 2 Duo obviously tells you nothing about how it will run with your processor.

A system with user input / user comments is NOT going to happen. The reasons are obvious, just take a look at the bug report forum and how many reports are plain crap just because people are using speed hacks. It will not work and if we tried to make it work it would take us hours each day to moderate it.

Quote:yes, but even legit games need them. and gow 2 need pnatch file to work. this is what I'm gettign at. (I also said nothign about providing links to them either)

So are you saying a legit original game actually did not work with the PS2 unless you patched it with a pirate group's patch? Not possible, so it's either PCSX2's fault or you have downloaded that game. In case of a PCSX2 bug, you can just wait until it's fixed so it won't require some shady patch.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-23-2009, 10:51 AM)Bositman Wrote:
Quote:yes, but even legit games need them. and gow 2 need pnatch file to work. this is what I'm gettign at. (I also said nothign about providing links to them either)

So are you saying a legit original game actually did not work with the PS2 unless you patched it with a pirate group's patch? Not possible, so it's either PCSX2's fault or you have downloaded that game. In case of a PCSX2 bug, you can just wait until it's fixed so it won't require some shady patch.

true, but God of War is the only one that I know that needs it. and yes, pcsx2 is not reading dual layer DVDs right now, they crash

and yes, that s exactly what I'm saying. legit from the DVD did not work. had to pirate patch it to get it working (created an iso, patched it and it worked)
I am using dual layer DVDs just fine, so don't spread false info please.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
In the end of the day, what difference is it gonna make?

people will still come here and start threads like: "Can my comp run this!?" and "Whats wrong with this game!?".

Like others have said, not everyone's rig is the same, in fact its quite rare to find the same rig between people, hence every1 will get different speeds making the expansion to the compatibility list kinda useless.
Laptop Rig:

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8Ghz
3 gb DDR2-800 RAM
256mb ATI HD 3430
Windows Vista Buisness 32-Bit

Desktop Rig:

P4 HT @ 3.0Ghz
3 gb DDR2-533 RAM
256mb ATI X1300
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit
(04-23-2009, 11:00 AM)Bositman Wrote: I am using dual layer DVDs just fine, so don't spread false info please.

ok, I'll correct myself SOME aren't
God of War? it certainly didn't work for me

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-6100.html
(04-23-2009, 10:51 AM)Bositman Wrote: Again, since all testers have high end systems, it would provide almost zero extra info, since you knowing the game runs perfectly with a 4 Ghz Core 2 Duo obviously tells you nothing about how it will run with your processor.

A system with user input / user comments is NOT going to happen. It will not work and if we tried to make it work it would take us hours each day to moderate it.

Yeah, if you say you have 4Ghz computer, and games run fine. It won`t tell me much. How about you see something like this?
1. E8400 Dual Core/8800GT/4GB/12000 3DMark06/Final Fantasy X: 70-100 FPS, Runs fine.
2. E6600 Dual Core/8800GT/2GB/ 9000 3DMark06/Final Fantasy X: 35-55 FPS, Runs ok.
This would tell me if I can run it or not ... or if it is playable

Yes, I can see the problem, if you lets users comment on something. Though I won`t think that links to torrent sites would be problem ... something like "ROFL! LOL" "OMZ" comments would be a bigger problem. Then again, there are lot of power hungry volunteers to moderate such comments ...
(04-23-2009, 01:28 PM)roska.posti Wrote: Yeah, if you say you have 4Ghz computer, and games run fine. It won`t tell me much. How about you see something like this?
1. E8400 Dual Core/8800GT/4GB/12000 3DMark06/Final Fantasy X: 70-100 FPS, Runs fine.
2. E6600 Dual Core/8800GT/2GB/ 9000 3DMark06/Final Fantasy X: 35-55 FPS, Runs ok.
This would tell me if I can run it or not ... or if it is playable

Yes, I can see the problem, if you lets users comment on something. Though I won`t think that links to torrent sites would be problem ... something like "ROFL! LOL" "OMZ" comments would be a bigger problem. Then again, there are lot of power hungry volunteers to moderate such comments ...

Just plainly put that idea aside.

Personally I think that if a game is reported playable at decent speeds on some pc it would work the same on any pc of an equal power.

And just to dream of it, if commenting of compat list is ever to be made, free input should simply be forbiddet. User would be given a few dropdown boxes and a couple of yes/no answers and that would be enough to leave a compatibility input.
The idea adding an extra compatability status of "Fully Playable" aka you can play start to finish at a good speed HAS been toyed with, but as others have said this is seriously machine unspecific. This could be the case on a 4Ghz Core 2 Duo, then all we would get is people comming on to the forums, ranting their P4 1.8 with intel onboard graphics doesnt do what the compatability list says and the emu sucks etc etc, it REALLY isnt worth the extra hastle.

The current status layout is fine, it states you can play it regardless of speed, unless it is ridiculously slow (like 1 fps or less) it can be classed as playable, albiet very slowly. HOWEVER, bare in mind this is an emulator, this is NOT a replacement for your PS2 console, you cannot expect a software program pretending to be specialized gaming hardware to do the same or better job 100% of the time. If the emulator runs too slow on the game you are trying to run, appreciate the fact it even runs, then turn your ps2 on and enjoy it fully.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]