Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compatible CPU?
Hi, I was wondering if someone could recommend a CPU that would work best with the PCSX2 emulator and also be great for all round gaming. I'm building a computer at the moment and want a descent gaming computer but don't want to pay an insane price.

Also at the moment I own a Radeon 4770 HD which has crossfire support so I plan on purchasing a 2nd one would this help for playing the games?

I'm also planning on getting 4GB of RAM, I assume this is enough but thought I would be best to ask as well Tongue

Also any other recommendations to get the best performance is greatly appreciated! Laugh

Sponsored links

(10-11-2010, 01:09 AM)Sirkova Wrote: Hi, I was wondering if someone could recommend a CPU that would work best with the PCSX2 emulator and also be great for all round gaming. I'm building a computer at the moment and want a descent gaming computer but don't want to pay an insane price.

Also at the moment I own a Radeon 4770 HD which has crossfire support so I plan on purchasing a 2nd one would this help for playing the games?

I'm also planning on getting 4GB of RAM, I assume this is enough but thought I would be best to ask as well Tongue

Also any other recommendations to get the best performance is greatly appreciated! Laugh
For a CPU, I'd suggest that yo get either an i5 750 or an i5 760; whichever one is cheaper in your region.
Also make sure the mobo you get for it can overclock.
Here's a good link that'll explain how to overclock i5 CPUs, and gives a good recommendation for an aftermarket CPU cooler:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144...king-guide
You will have to overclock your CPU, to get good speed in a lot of PS2 games, regardless of the one that you buy, from what's currently available to consumers.

The two CPUs I specifically recommended have the preferred internal architecture (in other words, Speed & Performance) for PCSX2 and Dolphin, as well as PC Games.

PCSX2 does not support multiple video cards.
I mean, it will work if you have more than 1 video card, but it will only use your primary video card and ignore additional video cards.

However, as you know, having 2 ATI or Nvidia Cards will, indeed, increase performance in PC Games, but I am unfamiliar with ATI's offerings, and can't give ya an accurate yay or nay on how the card you have will preform with PCSX2.

EDIT:
4 GB of RAM should be just fine. Smile
Just make sure to get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Vista if you want to get an extra 5 FPS in Dolphin. Wink

EDIT 2 >_<
I wouldn't bother with the current i7 line, because Hyperthreading needs to be disabled to get a high overclock in the i-series CPUs, and the extra performance you get from overclocking is better than having those 4 virtual-cores that hyperthreading provides.
My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<
Ill read through that guide now Smile Thanks, ill probably get the i5 760. How hard is it to Overclock it? I've never overclocked anything before Tongue
Very easy.
Just look up an overclock guide.
Make sure you get an aftermarket cooler.
212+ is a cheap but decent cooler.

And having to turn off hyperthreading for high overclocks is false.
Given, it's easier to overclock without but it doesn't have to be off.
[Image: 1454055.png]
Do I need an aftercooler? What about the fan that comes with the CPU.. Or is this something different? :| Sorry for the n00bish question.
(10-11-2010, 04:13 PM)Sirkova Wrote: Do I need an aftercooler? What about the fan that comes with the CPU.. Or is this something different? :| Sorry for the n00bish question.

Yes.
When you overclock, you will also have to increase the cpu voltage wich causes more heat.
Get a cooler master hyper 212+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...212%20plus
That looks good, does it just take the place of the default CPU fan than comes with CPU's? Also is it hard to attach?
It replaces the fan that comes with the i5.
It's easy to attach.
4 simple steps or so.
It comes with coolpaste pre-applied so you don't have to do that yourself.
(10-11-2010, 06:46 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: It replaces the fan that comes with the i5.
It's easy to attach.
4 simple steps or so.

My last and final question, will my current 4770 HD Radeon graphics card be good enough to runs most PS2 games?
(10-11-2010, 09:03 PM)Sirkova Wrote:
(10-11-2010, 06:46 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: It replaces the fan that comes with the i5.
It's easy to attach.
4 simple steps or so.

My last and final question, will my current 4770 HD Radeon graphics card be good enough to runs most PS2 games?
It will do fine.