Compiling PCSX2 and Dolphin with the same Vistual Studio?
I'm interested in doing SVN builds of PCSX2. However, it adds a lot more stuff to Visual Studio than Dolphin does, so now I'm worried it might cause conflicts.

According to the Build Guide, it adds much more than just DirectX (which is the only add-on for VS that Dolphin uses).
PCSX2 also uses "OpenGL Extension Wrangler" and "nVidia's CG Toolkit".
So it's adding the following to the Directories for PCSX2 Compiling:
Code:
# Under the Win32 Platform, you need to add the following to Include files:*If you installed GLEW elsewhere, reflect here

$(DXSDK_DIR)\Include
   $(ProgramFiles)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\include
   C:\Development\Add-on Libraries\GLEW\include

# Under the Win32 Platform, you need to add the following to Library files:*If you installed GLEW elsewhere, reflect here

$(DXSDK_DIR)\Lib\x86
   $(ProgramFiles)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\lib
   C:\Development\Add-on Libraries\GLEW\lib

# Under the x64 Platform, I added the following for Library files:*NVIDIA Directory only available or necessary if compiling on a 64-bit OS

$(ProgramFiles)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\lib.x64
   $(DXSDK_DIR)\Lib\x64

Any idea if this is going to break my ability to build Dolphin, or will Dolphin and PCSX2 just use what they need?

Sponsored links

No problems. The headers and libraries are only loaded if the source code directly references them. All you're setting is the locations where Visual Studio looks for those fines when they're requested. Dolphin doesn't make use of them, or uses its own local copies (which always take priority in Visual Studio searches), so it will still work fine.

I have both PCSX2 and Dolphin solutions that I build fairly regularly here.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Awesome.
And I tried to post this topic in this forum (Developer section), but I can't start new threads here.
That's by design. If we allowed user posts, they could make [blog] tags and spam the frontend with non-dev-authored blog entries. So we keep the forum locked (that's not the only reason, but it's the primary one -- it's also due to a general worry of off-topic posts in general). I move relevant topics to the dev forum when I see them. Smile
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Also, one more thing I'm wondering. GLEW doesn't have a 64bit component? So OpenGL in PCSX2 doesn't run in 64bit? Or am I missing something here?
PCSX2 doesn't run in 64-bit at all. The 64-bit code is outdated and won't compile, all of the sources have to be for 32-bit binaries
[Image: 2748844.png]
I'd also like to ask those who also compile: Do you usually Build or Rebuild? Obviously Build takes less time after the first compile, but has anyone ever had that cause problems?
@Koji: It's not so much that the 64 bit code is outdated, as that it no longer exists in pcsx2. It was all deleted back on Jan 1st of this year from pcsx2, though it's possible some outlying code might have been missed. It would, though, have been very outdated by this point.
(12-17-2009, 08:10 AM)arcum42 Wrote: @Koji: It's not so much that the 64 bit code is outdated, as that it no longer exists in pcsx2. It was all deleted back on Jan 1st of this year from pcsx2, though it's possible some outlying code might have been missed. It would, though, have been very outdated by this point.
I am big surprised by this talk about "64 bit code", I just checked out and even-though there are 32 and 64 bit wrangler binaries for download, the code is also provided and it should compile into 32 or 64 bits binaries. Is there some other piece of code in PCSX2 that is not amd64 compatible? Maybe some machine language stuff?
(05-31-2010, 04:59 AM)mangamuscle Wrote: I am big surprised by this talk about "64 bit code", I just checked out and even-though there are 32 and 64 bit wrangler binaries for download, the code is also provided and it should compile into 32 or 64 bits binaries. Is there some other piece of code in PCSX2 that is not amd64 compatible? Maybe some machine language stuff?

The last version with 64 bit code I have is 0.9.1 !! .. The team compiled a 64 bit executable somewhen .. and it didn't work that much faster .. and was 'buggy' as hell !! .. I guess that's why the x86-64 code is nowhere to be found .. anymore !! ..

Also .. A major redesign and rewrite of some of the components is necessary to benefit atleast alil from 64bit code !! .. but it's not worth the effort .. cause the pcsx2 that it is now is stable and fast !! .. so what's it good for .. to optimize the code for 64 bit .. anyway ?? ..

BTW .. The recompilers emitter that was written and is used now only produces x86-32 code .. atm .. so .. not really 64 bits available !! ..

Doesn't mean it's not possible to do it !! .. Laugh ..