Computer spec/fps tips
I've been using PCSX2 for awhile now, and it works good.. Just every now and then some games drop down to about 30's fps for 30 seconds to a minute then go back up to around 55-65fps. I have speedhacks enabled as well as native, My computer supports the shaders and D3D 9+10 is supported.
System specs:

EDIT: This is an Acer Aspire 5560-7638 laptop

" AMD Quad-Core Processor A6-3400M APU with Turbo CORE tech 1.40GHz up to 2.30 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6520G with 512 MB Graphics system memory
6 GB DDR3 Memory installed
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit "
Hope that is detailed enough, I know I can run it, but is there any tips as to what else I can do to speed things up?
( looking at it 1.40GHz is probably not good enough but I am running at 2.30GHz when I play, maybe 2.30GHz isn't quite enough to be as good as I want it? Thanks for any advice! -Jay

Games like Burnout 3, drop to about 6fps.. Playing with speed hacks Ive managed it up to 10-13 fps, but still not enough to enjoy it.
Kingdom hearts, I am at 50-60's, then drops to 30's for 30 seconds to a minute.
Guitar hero, I get about 5fps.
I understand some games demand more than others, but I'm just looking for tips to what else I can do if there is any.
My system is not overclocked and i have stock cooling system.
Again any tips are appreciated!!

Sponsored links

hm, sounds like your cpu is getting throttled due to overheating. monitor your temps and clock speeds with tools like gpu-z and realtemp e.g. keep in mind that most notebooks don't like the strain of constant 100% cpu load.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(07-08-2012, 01:10 AM)zero29 Wrote: hm, sounds like your cpu is getting throttled due to overheating. monitor your temps and clock speeds with tools like gpu-z and realtemp e.g. keep in mind that most notebooks don't like the strain of constant 100% cpu load.

GPU-Z you mean CPU-Z not GPU Tongue

and your CPU clock is just too low not to mention it's not a good architecture too ....

how ever using the MTVU hack will help greatly

( MTVU is a new speed hack in the latest SVN that allows PCSX2 to utilize a third core )

you can download the latest SVN from homepage
Thank you both for your replies! I Will try out the latest SVN. So my clock is a little on the slow side, is there a way I can replace or upgrade it? or would the idea of overclocking be good or bad? I have no plans to add any type of cooling system unless it's easily portable.
Sometimes when the game's demand processing power (short period of time) reach your graphic card limit.You will experience slow fps.It is a normal scenario.You can check by getting the GPU monitor on internet. As you see gpu load over 7-80% ,it is almost time for slow motions.Not much action you can do for hardware unless buy a better spec computer
GPU load over 80% won't cause slowmotions, unless there is inadequate air circulation, the graphics caard heatsink is choked with dust or the fan has simply failed
So I can get canned air and blow it all out =D ( joking but not really joking ) So I see what your saying kam.. That clears up alot actually.

So a quick update I got the latest SVN, and with all of my old settings from 0.9.8 + the new MTVU hack.. I have to say it is really amazing, with my old settings normal speed of 5-6 fps then with speedhacks up to 13ish fps, with MTVU I'm pulling about 27-30's fps.. That's pretty awesome if i say, It's still not great great but from what i was getting i'll take it any day. This is on Burnout 3.

So from what everyone has said, i've pretty much done what I can, I can feel my laptop getting a bit hotter since i'm running it alot and I'm guessing I'm near max usage which my laptop probably doesn't like but hey! I have a small table fan beside my computer cooling it off for the time being.. Seems to be working! =D Just one more specific question, which of my computer specs are good and which bad. I've gotten that my CPU clock is low, is there anything else that would be recommended to look into?
(07-08-2012, 03:30 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: GPU load over 80% won't cause slowmotions, unless there is inadequate air circulation, the graphics caard heatsink is choked with dust or the fan has simply failed

hmm!It is hardware depend.
In general case it begain to slow.How about 99% .Can it still keeping fps good.
(07-08-2012, 03:43 AM)kamwah99 Wrote: hmm!It is hardware depend.
In general case it begain to slow.How about 99% .Can it still keeping fps good.

no, it's not logical ...

how can i got bottlenecked when i have ~20% unused ?

unless you mean by HW depend Laptops power saving plan so they don't actually use 100% of the HW ?

and it's not like "hmm i am using 50% of my GPU yeah no slowdown and then it become 100% hmm a big slow down "

not because it's working 100% you have slowdown , it'sbecause even with maximum work it's not enough ...
(07-08-2012, 03:40 AM)K1nG JaY xX Wrote: So from what everyone has said, i've pretty much done what I can, I can feel my laptop getting a bit hotter since i'm running it alot and I'm guessing I'm near max usage which my laptop probably doesn't like but hey! I have a small table fan beside my computer cooling it off for the time being.. Seems to be working! =D Just one more specific question, which of my computer specs are good and which bad. I've gotten that my CPU clock is low, is there anything else that would be recommended to look into?

Your computer spec is not bad in general.But the high graphic demand of pcxs2 seems little bit hard to have a very good performance.
I know that acer NB mainboard doesn't allow to boost the clock speed higher.You can check the task manger to see the cpu usage.the os will command cpu to boost up as heavy load detected.