Configurations for FFX and XII on low end machines/laptops
I've seen quite a few threads on this the past few days, and I've responded to each of them with my current settings as they do work. But I wanted to just make it all into a single post rather than having to repeat the same config everytime I see the post topic come up.

This post is for:
People on Laptops
People on Low end machines (<3ghz machines)
People with low end graphics cards (Geforce 8 and 9, dunno about ati)

These are the best configurations I could get for the games. FFX runs smooth as hell with them and FFXII runs pretty smoothly save for esper battles, which it will bog down a bit, but still be playable. You can see my current laptop specs in my sig. These settings I am using have not broken the game or glitched it in anyway(at least what i've played through so far. Barely have really touched FFX, but in Parmina Rift in FF12). The movies in the game that use the ingame graphics rather than CGs will also lag sometimes, but they won't stutter, the voices will sometimes go ahead of the video. Its a minor drawback, but at least you can play the game. These also require that you have rev. 1888 and at least the latest plugins. If you do not have them, do not expect the same results.

Those are the settings I use and produce extremely good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRgRdGbqKnE

Video was taken with my phone's camera. It's an old phone, and it looks like it might be skipping frames, but its not, its just how my phone does video. Very poorly.

These settings WILL NOT make all games playable on low end machines. I cannot stress that enough(I have tested on many different games .hack//infection works beautifully, even without those hacks in place. //Gu does work, but its still a bit slow in towns and in battles, but then again the battles were slow on the real ps2 as well. Star Ocean 3 seemed to be ok on these settings. Didn't go too far passed the video between fayt and sophia because i was playing it off the dvd and got tired of it loading every 10 seconds). FFX and XII were extremely optimized for the ps2, which is probably why it can work as well as it does under the conditions while other 3d games will not.

Edit: As shadow lady has pointed out in the post below. For FFX clamp mode must be set to normal or higher. You will get backwards facing bosses/characters as well as possible crashes if not. I didn't notice a slow down by having them set higher. And these settings will NOT gaurantee 60fps at all times. Things such as summoning Shiva in FFX are still an FPS drop for people on higher end machines, I haven't seen the results of summoning Shiva in 10 under these conditions, but I can bet they will be brutal as well. Esper Fights in 12 WILL drop your frames, but it will still be playable. The Sandsea has dropped frames. The Jungle has dropped frames. In 12, areas or locations that have dropped frames can usually be remedied by moving the camera to an overhead position or at least a 3/4's view. Places like Ozmone Plains, Lhusu Mines, the snowy mountain thing, and the Stillshrine were beautiful though. There will be fps drops at certain points, however it is still better than if you tried it without. Give it a shot.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If not, I wish you all luck. If you find a better set up than this for low end machines, feel free to let me know. If you encounter any bugs/glitches/problems with these settings, leave a post here, and if you found a way around it, post the fix.
------------
CPU: Core I7 Q720
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT240M
Ram: 4 gigs

Sponsored links

Having clamps set to 'none' may/will cause crashes later on in FFX, also having VU cycle stealing set that high will cause some glitches (Tidus body moves too fast but advances slower than walking in kilika port for example).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(12-17-2009, 09:16 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Having clamps set to 'none' may/will cause crashes later on in FFX, also having VU cycle stealing set that high will cause some glitches (Tidus body moves too fast but advances slower than walking in kilika port for example).

Hmm. not far enough into FFX to really notice that. been mostly doing FF12. The test wasn't thorough like i haven't played through the entire game on either one. But i'm 44 hours into FF12 with no issues. But thank you for adding to this. Any information does help regarding getting these to play as smooth as possible.

I suppose this config is better suited for 12 then. For 10 you might have to modify it for some areas as Shadow Lady has pointed out. But still being able to play these games on older systems is a miracle by itself and a true testament to the coding power of the coders as PCSX2.
------------
CPU: Core I7 Q720
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT240M
Ram: 4 gigs