Controls won't work in game
Above all configure the sticks correctly since being wrongly bond, as correctly pointed out by Shadow Lady, is your current issue.
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

1. I had the same issue with the latest version... I tried that one first.

2. I've installed it in Program Files, I've installed it right onto my local C drive, and I've also installed it into My Documents. Same problem every time.

3. I've cleared and reconfigured my key assignment at least a dozen times already.

4. I am still having issues.

Also, I have the exact same issue with both of the Lord of the Rings games. The Two Towers and Return of the King... Unfortunately, I don't have any of my other PS2 games with me. And lastly, I already posted a link to all of the pages having to do with my Pad config. I was understanding that the first page of my config was one of the three I uploaded in the link.
I'm not sure you understood what is happening yet, the first 4 lines are indeed R-Stick, the following 4 should be L-Stick and the next 4 should be "Up, Right, Down, Left".

As they are the D-pad was not configured at all and the right stick bond twice while L-stick replaces what should be the D-pad. No wonder it does not work.

One possible cause of issue is trying to configure with the "Analog" (on the joypad) disabled, make sure the LED is lit when configuring the joypad.
Kenny Keleh: I'm not sure you understand what is happening yet. "3. I've cleared and reconfigured my key assignment at least a dozen times already."

The key assignment is NOT the issue. I'm not sure if you can read other people's posts or not, but I also said that I tried assigning all of my keys to my keyboard, and I still had the exact same problem... While in game, none of the configured buttons are responding. It just loops the games' intros.
I should have stopped reading a while ago... your question about reading other people posts is better directed to yourself since you show can't understand whatever is making that binding wrong or you don't seeing it is wrong does not change it is wrong.

In simple words, until showing a screenshot with the correct binding and still having issue, the real problem is not in LilyPad.
Alright... I made sure that the key assignment was correct this time. Check again if it means that much to you: http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/...2spces.png

But wait! I'm still having the exact same problem. Who'd have thought, right? Oh wait... I told you that a dozen posts ago. And once again, the key assignment is not the issue. I tried sending you a personal message and being nice, but you won't have it. So please... If you're not going to help, then stop posting.
OK, again the same result... "where is the D-pad which should be identified only by "Up, Right, Down, Left" without anything else in the line?
The right stick is still configured twice and the left stick where should be the d-pad (the L-stick should begin at the 5th line).

Are you sure the pad is in analog mode, with that LED lit?
The D pad is the Y and X positive and negative axes.

The left analog stick is notated as Hat Switch.

The right analog stick is the Z rotation and axis.

The light is on.... And, once again, the key assignment is NOT the issue.
That's OK then, good luck.
download the logitech gaming controller software then clear all bindings and reconfigure worked for me