Core 2 Quad question
So I got a Intel Core 2 Quad @2.40Ghz. So I checked the MTGS setting under CPU, but the biggest percentage I see used of the CPU is a little over 30. Is it possible to get more? Right now my games run at 60fps most of the time, but it does drop below quite often.

Sponsored links

You obviously didn't read he FAQ

Does the emulator support 4 cores?
No, currently only 2 cores are used. To make Pcsx2 efficiently use 3 or more cores will require major code changes. So don't ask when quad-core support will be available, since it won't anytime soon!

Read it before posting again, thanks
i think hes talking about using 2 cores to max potential.
since he has a quadcore, and hes only getting around 30%, thats about the equivalent of having a dual-core running at 60%.

skipperdoo:
you're probably GPU limited. Meaning that your graphics card is too weak, and is slowing the emu down.
please tell us your graphics card.
Well if he gets CPU usage to 30% (checked from windows right?) that means he is using currently probably 1 core for game and other cores for windows.

Well usually Windows balances load to all cores so one core won't get like 20C higher tempature than other ;P

And as above has been stated, nope you cannot get quad core support. I'm currently using 75% max for PCSX2 (3 threads) and get in some games still slow as 30 FPS eventough I have overclocked Q6600 to 3.51GHz
[Image: FireFlower.jpg]
[Image: 463094.png]
Ok yes I actually did know that there's only dual core support, guess I should of said something, but shouldn't I be getting around 50% then? And my graphics card is pretty good. It's a Geforce 8800 GTS.
MTGS mode doesn't automatically mean both cores will be used to the fullest. That's why it usually doesn't give a 200% increase in speed.
does that mean that 4 cores is worse for pcsx2 than 2 cores with the same speed?
C2D E6550 @ 2333 Mhz oc 3010 Mhz vcore 1.2750v | HD2600XT | P5KC | 1 + 1 GB G.Skill 6400HK 860 4.4.3.5
Well its really small decrease in power but in general quad will run better because background programs will request calculation power did you want it or not.
[Image: FireFlower.jpg]
[Image: 463094.png]
(12-19-2008, 05:14 PM)skipperdoo Wrote: Ok yes I actually did know that there's only dual core support, guess I should of said something, but shouldn't I be getting around 50% then? And my graphics card is pretty good. It's a Geforce 8800 GTS.

Actually, many games are limited by the EE emulation speed, not the graphics rendering speed, even on relatively crappy video cards. So what happens is that one core -- the one running the EE and IOP -- is busy as hell while the core the GPU is on sits around waiting for coffee and tea.

Additionally! If you have framelimiting enabled your CPU usage will be much lower anytime a game runs 60fps.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(12-19-2008, 07:42 PM)Air Wrote:
(12-19-2008, 05:14 PM)skipperdoo Wrote: Ok yes I actually did know that there's only dual core support, guess I should of said something, but shouldn't I be getting around 50% then? And my graphics card is pretty good. It's a Geforce 8800 GTS.

Actually, many games are limited by the EE emulation speed, not the graphics rendering speed, even on relatively crappy video cards. So what happens is that one core -- the one running the EE and IOP -- is busy as hell while the core the GPU is on sits around waiting for coffee and tea.

Additionally! If you have framelimiting enabled your CPU usage will be much lower anytime a game runs 60fps.

I am framelimiting at the moment since I it does go much too fast at some points, mostly menus. So I guess that the 30% is normal. Ok just wanted to know guys. Thanks for the replies. Right now playing Kingdom Hearts and was trying emulation seeing if I could get a better resolution. Basically the game looked ugly on the HDTV, so thought that maybe emulating it I could get better picture. Getting better picture, but the framerate drops makes it a little less enjoyable then just playing on my PS2.