Cover art in wiki (Is PNG allowed?)
This is probably a really bad question but is PNG cover art allowed for use in the Wiki? I'm doing this specifically for Enthusia Professional Racing.
Moe: [to Homer] And I'm pulling your favorite song out of the jukebox.
Homer: "It's Raining Men"?!
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]
Smithers: Ow! [looks at the record] Ohhh.

what would ;e; do

Sponsored links

Do you mean the file format? If so, then yeah it's allowed
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Yep. It's fine. It's a wiki after all. Just try not to use insanely large files. I much prefer PNG, but having 42TB cover images might be bad for people with slow connections, or data caps.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Here is the freshly edited page. Does it look okay?
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]

what would ;e; do
looks fine
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
What would be the alternative to png in such case? I think except for vector graphics and photos you should always use png, or?
(04-03-2015, 12:24 AM)willkuer Wrote: What would be the alternative to png in such case? I think except for vector graphics and photos you should always use png, or?

Should from a logical point of view. Anyone who understands how image compression works will use PNG for basically everything except photo/vector.

But unfortunately most don't, so they use JPG, which drives me nuts.

GIF is a possible acceptable alternative in a very few cases, generally where the image is 8 bit, a palletized GIF will yield slightly better compression than PNG. In other cases, PNG is vastly superior however.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
If you want to upload a PNG and think of the.. ahem, environment Tongue then you can use a utility to compress the image data, such as optiPNG and alternatives. Depending on the image, you could very well halve its size if you're lucky.
(04-03-2015, 12:28 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Should from a logical point of view. Anyone who understands how image compression works will use PNG for basically everything except photo/vector.

But unfortunately most don't, so they use JPG, which drives me nuts.

GIF is a possible acceptable alternative in a very few cases, generally where the image is 8 bit, a palletized GIF will yield slightly better compression than PNG. In other cases, PNG is vastly superior however.

Hell, even in the case of a 256-color image, PNG can be better.

In images with mostly solid colors, PNG does better than JPEG, since JPEG tries to approximate most every pixel. Compare a 512x512 image of any solid color between PNG and JPEG. PNG obviously looks better and weighs less than the JPEG.

Off topic: How does this sig look? The silver212 person did it for me.
It's half advertising and half me needing a link for the pic.

Attached Files
.png   Marge Simpson Signature-2.png (Size: 117,58 KB / Downloads: 16.096)

what would ;e; do
I generally upload 1500x1900px JPG covers. You don't have to worry about it loading slow on the wiki pages themselves, because those pages just contain a separate thumbnail linking to the full image page, where you can -choose- to view the full sized image. But this way there's always a SHQ image available.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)