Cutscenes Silent Hill 2
Hello everybody.

I've recently installed pcsx2 on my (hp-)computer, and, after some fiddling, was able to start up a game. I chose Silent Hill 2, and ps4 controller in hand I dove in.
It ran without problems for a while, clunky controls excluded ;), but when I started a new game and got to the cutscene, I immediately noticed something was wrong: It was all distorted, with colored lines running through. I figured it was part of the creepy atmosphere, and payed it no mind, but when I got to the second cutscene, I couldn't keep ignoring it: My whole screen got covered with grey bars and I couldn't see a thing. I tried running the game on software mode, but this slows the actual game-game down to the point where it becomes unplayable, though the cutscene looked great.

I heard you're supposed to use f9 to toggle the two emulation modes, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize that key as more than a way to toggle volume.
I tried the game fix that's supposed to toggle HW and SW emulation automatically, but this just results in the whole emulation crashing when I enter cutscenes.

Yay, specs!

PCSX2 1.2.1.r5873 - compiled on Feb 3 2014
Savestate version: 0x9a0a0000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 3992 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 07)
CPU speed = 2.294 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 1dbae3bf
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2.. AVX

Loading language translation databases for 'Dutch' [nl_NL]
pcsx2_Main not found -- translation dictionary may be incomplete.
pcsx2_Iconized not found -- translation dictionary may be incomplete.
SetLanguage: Requested translation is not implemented yet.
Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\GSdx-sse4.dll
Binding PAD: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\lilypad-r4600.dll
Binding SPU2: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\spu2-x-r4600.dll
Binding CDVD: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\CDVDiso.dll
Binding USB: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\FWnull.dll
Binding DEV9: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9655 games on record (loaded in 278ms)

Thanks in advance,
Laminnanne

Sponsored links

As for specs, you can just post the emulog which contains most of them (PCSX2/logs/emulog.txt or Mydocuments/PCSX2/logs/emulog.txt)

I'm guessing you're on a laptop? Try looking for a key marked "fn" or "Fn" or "Function" (it should be nearby alt, or CTRL or similar), then pressing that before you press F9. If that doesn't work try holding it then pressing F9.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(06-29-2015, 10:23 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: As for specs, you can just post the emulog which contains most of them (PCSX2/logs/emulog.txt or Mydocuments/PCSX2/logs/emulog.txt)

I'm guessing you're on a laptop? Try looking for a key marked "fn" or "Fn" or "Function" (it should be nearby alt, or CTRL or similar), then pressing that before you press F9. If that doesn't work try holding it then pressing F9.

First things first: fastest reply on any forum ever! I just posted this like 10 minutes ago...
secondly: I tried your solution. It doesn't seem to help. Still: thanks.
Can you please post your specs? They are listed in the log that opens with PCSX2.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I can actually confirm the crashing happening as well from time to time with the 'automated' software mode when an FMV happens. Not sure why that happens either.

Doesn't happen with the manual one. I can spam the F9 key as much as I want.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(06-29-2015, 10:33 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Can you please post your specs? They are listed in the log that opens with PCSX2.

You mean these right?:

PCSX2 1.2.1.r5873 - compiled on Feb 3 2014
Savestate version: 0x9a0a0000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 3992 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 07)
CPU speed = 2.294 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 1dbae3bf
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2.. AVX

Loading language translation databases for 'Dutch' [nl_NL]
pcsx2_Main not found -- translation dictionary may be incomplete.
pcsx2_Iconized not found -- translation dictionary may be incomplete.
SetLanguage: Requested translation is not implemented yet.
Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\GSdx-sse4.dll
Binding PAD: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\lilypad-r4600.dll
Binding SPU2: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\spu2-x-r4600.dll
Binding CDVD: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\CDVDiso.dll
Binding USB: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\FWnull.dll
Binding DEV9: C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\emulaties\ps2\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9655 games on record (loaded in 278ms)

I'll also put them in the post.
Sadly that laptop is really too slow for most games including Silent Hill 2 in software.
(06-29-2015, 10:40 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Sadly that laptop is really too slow for most games including Silent Hill 2 in software.

So that means I plain can't play emulations? I've like tens of other games on my laptop that work fine, is this really so much heavier?

BTW: like I said I am able to start up the game and play it. I'm even able to watch cutscenes. I just don't seem to be able to toggle them. Is this really a practical impossibility with my laptop?
PS2 emulation is very complex and requires a lot of processing power.

Your laptop's processor has about an 1100 Single Thread Rating and we usually recommend something with a minimum of 1400. Some games can require that score to be around 2000 or higher in order to get full speed. So, I'm sorry, but until you can upgrade to a new computer, it's best to stick to your PS2.
Graphical artifacts can sometimes be removed by the skipdraw option in gsdx settings using gsdx hardware mode. Just try nbers from 1 to 10 and see if it removes the broken graphics.

If software mode is really needed you probably are completely out of luck as already said by nobbs. You can only consider to slightly increase extra rendering threads in gsdx software settings and/or use the ee cycle rate hack