Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DDR3 Speed
Hi, my brother is currently in the process of upgrading to sandy bridge, and while Im good with hardware in general I have actually no clue on how diffrent ram speeds would affect his setup. He is getting an i7-2600K and a high quality mobo(not nailed down yet) so the upgrade is supposed to last him some time. What ram speed should he aim for?(Its mostly for games if that makes any diffrence)

Edit: I would appreciate some insight on the effect of both the speed and timings.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb

Sponsored links

maybe WIP score rating might help analyze the ram speed
"Control panel--->System-->Windows Experience Index"(Win7/Vista only)
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
The RAM has to run fast enough to not bottleneck the CPU, especially in multithreaded tasks.
You currently can get DDR3 in speeds between 1066 and 2400MHz.
It's a safe bet to aim for DDR3 1600 or DDR3 1866, since that's plenty of speed for an acceptable price.
Ok, thanks. But how much do lower timings increase overall performance?
Price varies a lot and if there isnt much of a diffrence for general tasks/games it probably wont be worth the extra cash.
Specs:
Timings are still irrelevant, no matter what RAM makers want you to believe Tongue2

(You'll get a 3% speedup with low latency RAM in most applications. You'll get 5% by simply running the RAM one speed bin faster.)
Ok thanks for the info.
Specs:
Bandwidth is measured in bytes per timeslice Wink
I'm planning on moving from C2Q to Sandy Bridge myself and have been eying a set of 2 x 4GB 1600MHz RAM for only $110.

I've done some research and have concluded that the sweet spot for DDR3 is as rama said. 1600-1866MHz. I would just go with 1600, since 1866 isn't that much faster in real world applications (1-2 FPS gain in games).

Another thing you need to watch out for is memory heatsink/heat spreader. A lot of manufacturers use really elaborate designs that may look good, but that's pretty much it. Those really tall ones aren't as efficient as you think. In fact, they perform the same as the basic/standard heat spreaders.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!