DS4/360 Not being picked up by Windows 7
Hey all,

I posted this same problem to Microsoft Answers (feel free to read it there, but I'll sum up the problem here too); but it is being ignored - I figured I'd ask a more reliable community ^^

So I recently reformatted & reinstalled Windows 7, and since the reinstall I haven't been able to use controllers. I've downloaded all the drivers recommended; but...

What happens is I plug in the 360 controller, the light in the middle flashes once, and then nothing more happens. It does not show up in Device Manager or anything. The same thing is happening for me with the DS4 + DS4Tool. The light glows yellow once, then turns off.

I know the USB ports are fine, as I've tested all of them with external harddrives, and there's no issue there.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Sponsored links

I'll try and chime in on how to help, but I don't own a wired 360 controller and I have never seen this problem before, so if anyone knows better please chime in before I send this man into a goose chase.

First, in device manager, look under System Devices for your Xbox 360 controller.

Second, in/on Windows 7, go to the Windows orb, then go to Devices and printers. Does your controller show up under there? It should be called "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows".

Thirdly, which controller do you care about more? Are you trying to use both controllers at once?
(02-07-2015, 03:47 AM)Bigbenn01 Wrote: I'll try and chime in on how to help, but I don't own a wired 360 controller and I have never seen this problem before, so if anyone knows better please chime in before I send this man into a goose chase.

First, in device manager, look under System Devices for your Xbox 360 controller.

Second, in/on Windows 7, go to the Windows orb, then go to Devices and printers. Does your controller show up under there? It should be called "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows".

Thirdly, which controller do you care about more? Are you trying to use both controllers at once?

Apologies for the delay, it was quite a busy week!

The controller does not show up under device manager, sadly.

It also does not show up under devices and printers (also, when I have it connected and select "add a new device," it does not get detected)

And for the third question, I'd prioritize the DS4 as I prefer the controller; but getting either to work would be great haha. I am only using one at a time, though if I get at least one working I would probably hook up a few for Gang Beasts, et cetera.

Thanks a bunch!
Oh great, I thought I was ignored =). Well, if you only need one working, and prefer the DS4, let's work on getting that working.

Firstly, I'd suggest uninstalling everything and anything related to the DS4 and Xbox 360 controllers. Drivers, files, registry. We want a fresh start.

After that we'll try and go step by step to install the DS4 properly.

Question: The DS4 is a legit Sony one right? Not an off brand Chinese knockoff. Also, are you doing wired or wireless?
(02-11-2015, 10:54 PM)Bigbenn01 Wrote: Oh great, I thought I was ignored =). Well, if you only need one working, and prefer the DS4, let's work on getting that working.

Firstly, I'd suggest uninstalling everything and anything related to the DS4 and Xbox 360 controllers. Drivers, files, registry. We want a fresh start.

After that we'll try and go step by step to install the DS4 properly.

Question: The DS4 is a legit Sony one right? Not an off brand Chinese knockoff. Also, are you doing wired or wireless?

Just finished doing that! Went through all uninstallers, then cleaned up in Regedit & %appdata%, so we should be clean ^^

This is a legitimate DS4, also - wired, as I do not currently have anything bluetooth in this PC =)
Okay, let's start with the absolute basics, simply plug the DS4 into the computer and see what happens. I believe Windows should install a generic driver of some sort.
Plugged in, and nothing haha - same as before. The light on the front of the controller glows yellow for about 1 second, then goes back to off.

Here is a video of exactly what I mean.

Adding a device yields nothing, either.

'Tis an odd one!
Okay, have you tried to push the PS Button while the controller is plugging in? If you own a PS4 I'd turn it off as it might turn the PS4 on.

Just a note: I have the same mouse; awesome!
High five on the mouse, it's awesome for big hands ^^

As for pushing the button, I unplugged the PS4 (apparently it stores some power in a capacitor because, though unplugged, it turned on for a second after I hit the button) and it flashed white for about 10 seconds, then did the yellow thing again.

Tried searching for it while it was in white flashing mode, but nadda.
I'm going to assume it's used often, but reading up a bit, the yellow light means the controller is charging. It's weird though, Windows should have instantly installed the driver. So let's move on to something different, give me a second while I figure out what I'm thinking and I'll post.