DX9 hardware or software?
Right, well I'm wondering what would be the best course for me.

My specs are:

8800GT 512
4 gigs of ram
XP
Q6600

Should I stick with my card, or let my CPU handle it?

Also, any games anyone would recommend? and what kind of performance should I be expecting? (with your average "compatible" game)

Sponsored links

Hardware mode: More speed, changeable internal resolution (for way better image quality)
Software mode: More compatible

As for the performance: Some games will be more than fast enough but usually you'll get close to fullspeed but not quite there. The CPU is a bit too weak.
His CPU is weak? That is a quad core CPU that can easily be OCed to 3.0 GHZ. I have an AMD 4600+ X2 and my games run great.
(04-30-2009, 02:03 PM)nafeasonto Wrote: His CPU is weak? That is a quad core CPU that can easily be OCed to 3.0 GHZ. I have an AMD 4600+ X2 and my games run great.

If I recall correctly, PCSX2 only makes use of two cores max.
Intel C2D E6550 @ 2.8ghz
4GB of RAM
Gainward Bliss 9600GT GS
Windows Vista 64bit
PCSX2 yes, but GSDX in software mode can use as many cores as you want.
I use my Q6600 in hardware mode and FFX, FFXII, KH, all the avatar games, and several others run quite well. The only game I've had issues with so far is Shadow of the Colossus, but who hasn't?

Put simply, calling the Q6600 weak is laughable. It has the SSSE3 instruction set and can very easily be overclocked to 3.2 GHz which provies pretty solid horsepower for the emulator to work with.

To answer the OP's question, you should see some very enjoyable performance with that set up on many of the popular games(like the ones I listed I've played) in hardware mode. I would consider upgrading to Vista for DX10(better emulator performance) and an all around better OS for gaming, however.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(04-30-2009, 02:03 PM)nafeasonto Wrote: His CPU is weak? That is a quad core CPU that can easily be OCed to 3.0 GHZ.

He didn't overclock.

(04-30-2009, 02:03 PM)nafeasonto Wrote: I have an AMD 4600+ X2 and my games run great.

Depends on the games and on what you call "great". My definition would be constant fullspeed.

(04-30-2009, 08:29 PM)Prott Wrote: PCSX2 yes, but GSDX in software mode can use as many cores as you want.

Yep, but that doesn't help when PCSX2 itself runs too slow of course.

(04-30-2009, 10:25 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Put simply, calling the Q6600 weak is laughable.

Nobody said that. The only thing I stated was: While some games will work absolutely perfect (performance-wise at least), there will still be many which won't run at fullspeed.

For example: On a 2.4 GHz Core 2 FFX und XII will drop below 60 and even 50 fps at times. For Virtua Fighter 4, Dragon Quest VIII, God of War, Drakan, Tekken 5 or Star Ocean 3 it's even worse.
(04-30-2009, 10:27 PM)lightchris Wrote: Yep, but that doesn't help when PCSX2 itself runs too slow of course.
Well I was just answering the post. Of course it will be slow, but Q6600 running on 3 GHz (OC) isn`t "that" slow (it can run most of the less demanding games).
Actually @ 2.5 GHZ (core 2 series) with PCSX2 1059 rev. + with the latest gsdx Plugin ... majority the game with high demanding CPU will emulate in very good FPS.
HappyTongueCSX2:Happy