Dance Mat controller support question
God damn have I had a hard time thinking of how to sum up my question in the title of this post....but what I have will do.
So after searching the web for hours and nosing on previous thread posts about the subject, there seems to be no answer but then no ones seem's to hone in on what's happening to cause the issue many others have talked about. 

Basically when playing Dance Games of various styles on this emu with a dance pad, pressing "left + right" or "up + down" causes nothing to happen...in fact it's like pressing both of them down cancels out the combined button press. When I open up the  "test device" part in the controller setting this is proven more so by how the directions buttons on my pad come up "hat switch, hat switch N, hat switch S, hat switch E, hat switch W". 

The hat switch seems to be the underline control of the other four buttons that represent the directional buttons. Now when left alone the "Hat switch" is at -1, when you press a direction that links to the N, W, S, E switches they change from 0 to 1.0 but depending on the direction the "hat switch" will change to a unique number depending on which button. 
Now when pressing say "left + down" both register as pressed and the hat switch identifies by giving the two directions another unique number and they register as pressed at the same time in game. Now, remember how hat switches neutral state is -1, when you press the problem combinations "down + up" or "left + right" it returns the value of hat switch back to -1 so the game thinks nothing is being pressed.

In my mind, these combination of directs are like joystick controls with them being both on separate axis which I think may be the root cause of this problem. If you think of how you play with an actual game pad you never press both directions on the same directional pad or analog stick. So the problem is the plugin thinks the dance mat is a gamepad? making pressing two buttons on the same axis impossible?

So here is my question...does anyone have a work around for this?

Sponsored links

What kind of adapter are you using for the dance pad? If it's pretending the dance pad is a typical controller, then, yeah, up + down/left + right will cancel out. You could probably use a custom driver, if one exists, to fix this kind of issue.
Are you using PCSX2 v1.4.0 or earlier? If so, you need to update to the latest v1.5.0 git build: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

Your controls being assigned to hat switch indicates you're using XInput(which emulates an X360 controller). The d-pad(hat switch) on an X360 controller does not allow for pressing two opposing directions at the same time. You might want to switch to DirectInput.
(03-22-2017, 01:04 AM)JMC47 Wrote: What kind of adapter are you using for the dance pad?  If it's pretending the dance pad is a typical controller, then, yeah, up + down/left + right will cancel out.  You could probably use a custom driver, if one exists, to fix this kind of issue.

Not using an adapter, its a USB so it will happily plug into my pc and I figured as much, was hoping someone might have any directions i could go look or suggestions.

(03-22-2017, 01:12 AM)FlatOut Wrote: Are you using PCSX2 v1.4.0 or earlier? If so, you need to update to the latest v1.5.0 git build: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

Your controls being assigned to hat switch indicates you're using XInput(which emulates an X360 controller). The d-pad(hat switch) on an X360 controller does not allow for pressing two opposing directions at the same times. You might want to switch to DirectInput.

Ah on 1.4.0 at the mo,  will try updating. Though I have tried DirectInput and it still reads it as a hat switch thought maybe I will have better look with the updated version....one moment I will update and try again.
Right so I have tried 1.5.0 and DirectInput but I'm getting the same issue. The directional buttons on the pad are still seen as a hat switch and still cancels out. Even if i set "up and left" to the left stick and "down and right" to the right stick, the hat switch still sets itself back to -1 when the problem combinations are pressed.
You should test the device in Windows Control Panel/Devices section. If it reacts the same, you need to see if there's a better driver available for your pad.
(03-22-2017, 01:43 AM)FlatOut Wrote: You should test the device in Windows Control Panel/Devices section. If it reacts the same, you need to see if there's a better driver available for your pad.

Yep my computer also sees it as a gamepad and I can't seem to change it...not sure if I will find any better drivers than the ones that auto installed when I plugged it in but will have to look.... so far it's looking like I'm at a stalemate x___x
Yep, can't find anything -___- is it too much to ask to play old dance games the way they were meant to be played on by other means, is it? :<
What do you mean you can't change "it" ? Post a picture of your Lilypad settings and we can start from there to try and find the issue.
Photo 
(03-22-2017, 04:40 AM)CK1 Wrote: What do you mean you can't change "it" ? Post a picture of your Lilypad settings and we can start from there to try and find the issue.

I was fallowing FlatOut's advice about going into my computer device manager and seeing what my computer actually saw my dance pad as and it see's it as a gamepad (with no options to change how my computer views the device). So the main problem I need to get around is a way to stop my computer thinking the directional buttons on the mat are a gamepads D-pads hat switch which makes pressing two directly opposite directions at the same time impossible. No matter the button mapping the pad will still act as a hat switch and keep canceling the input of these problem combinations. 

[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]