Dark Cloud 2 Graphical Flickering
Hey folks, this is my first time posting on the PCSX2 forums and I'm still pretty new to getting to grasps with it, but I figured that I might be able to get some help here since I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

I only just set up PCSX2 (version 1.2.1 r5875) yesterday and had little to no trouble getting it started, and I managed to run Devil May Cry 3 with few issues save for some post processing/ice effects which didn't particularly matter to me. Anyway, I tried booting up Dark Cloud 2 and straight away I noticed a significant issue graphically, IE:

[Image: KFcrF4P.png]

Giving the game a run, I noticed a few other issues like flickering character models (Mainly in one of the early cutscenes in Cedric's work shop) and objects like streetlamps in Palm Brinks, whilst the text sometimes flickered (I noticed this mainly during AMV sequences). Performance-wise I had few issues and didn't really have any need to use speedhacks but upon entering the sewers, I noticed the flickering was even more of a problem than I'd hoped, as shown below:

[Image: XWRUruZ.png]

Anyways, I've tried tweaking some of my settings like changing the resolutionm, enabling 8-bit textures and enabling HW Hacks but they aren't working and I've no idea how to handle it. Hitting F9 to enable software mode removes the flickering, but it ruins the quality of the display and makes it look like a 240p AMV, and I've also seen other people running DC2 on pretty much the same settings without any of these issues. I've even tried installing 1.0.0 to see if that would resolve it, though for some reason the installer ended up installing 1.1.0.5766, and even then it didn't fix the issue.

I've also noticed in the logging section that whenever I open the plugins it reads 'some kinda plugin failure' related to GSdx, and so for curiosity's sake I tried switching back to SSE2 but that didn't change anything. Anyways, here's my current related config:

[Image: PL1RAuI.png]

System specs:

i5 3570k OC'd to 4.2Ghz
2x4GB 8GB DDR3
ASUS GTX 770 2GB
2TB Toshiba HDD (This isn't my main HDD, but I decided to store my PSX2
content on it)

So yeah, any help on the issue would be really appreciated.

Sponsored links

If I'm not mistaken, this has something to do with the recent Nvidia drivers (337.50 and above) and DX11 renderer. You can fix it by either installing previous drivers or change GS renderer (OpenGL, DX11 software, DX9 hardware/software).
Nevermind the some kind of plugin failure message - it just means those plugins that failed aren't supported by your CPU.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I know this just recently popped up. I think it may actually have to do with the new beta drivers.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(05-21-2014, 08:07 PM)Trancol Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, this has something to do with the recent Nvidia drivers (337.50 and above) and DX11 renderer. You can fix it by either installing previous drivers or change GS renderer (OpenGL, DX11 software, DX9 hardware/software).

Yeah, I just shifted over to Direct 3D9 and I've noticed the flickering issues are gone now. Well, ***** - is there going to be any noticable differences if I keep it in DX9 Hardware for now? And from experience, do these kind of issues settle down after the drivers exit beta?
I would just roll back to the latest stable drivers.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Is it just a DX11 and drivers problem though?

I don't want to roll back drivers, or to DX9 mode. DX9 mode gives me other graphical glitches like malpositioned character shadows.

I tried running it on PCSX2 0.9.6, a build I keep around for stuff like this. I tested on a GSDX r13xx or something in DX11 mode and there was no glitching. But I don't like to use this version of PCSX2 because it has problems with frame tearing for me that the current version does not have.

I use a Nvidia GPU if it matters.

P.S. the exact same problems and changes with different versions apply to both Dark Cloud 1 and 2 for me.
Check out my snazzy Youtube channel, with many great PCSX2 emulation videos! Laugh http://www.youtube.com/user/curryking1 Laugh
I am on stable driver 337.88 and I get this issues in hardware mode so its not a beta driver issue.
Nvidia drivers have been broken for DX11 mode on PCSX2 since the 327 series i think.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Would the 340.43 beta drivers fix this? They fixed the flickering I was getting in Valkyrie Profile 2, and I haven't seen any issues in Dark Cloud 1. I think the image stretching is still present, though...

I'd take a look myself, but my copy of Dark Cloud 2 vanished at one point or another Sad