Dark Cloud 2 (and other games): Screen Jitteriness, Screen Tearing Causes
Question 
Hi. I have a couple of questions and comments.

My specs: Intel Quad-Core 2.6 Ghz (overclocked to 3.8 Ghz)
Memory: 8 GB DDR 1333
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 470
PCSX2 version: 1.1.0.0 r5800
PCSX2 settings: I've tried everything, but for point of reference: All default, no speedhacks, DX11: Texture filtering: ON, 8-bit Textures: ON.

I have been trying to get Dark Cloud 2 to work perfectly, and I'm almost there. I get full speed about 98% of the time. I was having extreme screen tearing that I couldn't get rid of. I finally found out that it was being caused because I had turned off "Aero" features in Windows desktop settings. Doing so causes a problem with Nvidia drivers and creates screen tearing in video files, web browsing (during scrolling) -- and especially in PCSX2 emulation. I only mention this in case someone else is searching for the same solution (took me three days to figure it out): If you are experiencing extreme screen tearing at full speed emulation, that v-sync doesn't fix, check to ensure that you have an Aero theme chosen in Windows Display preferences and ensure that "Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager" (is that a redundant name or what?) is running under "Services" in msconfig.exe. I turned these off in an effort to lessen the load on my system, but I actually created a worse problem.

So that fixed most of the screen tearing issues I was having (in Dark Cloud and other games), however I'm still getting some screen tearing and a "jitteriness" in the vertical lines of the scenery textures when I spin the camera. If the camera is moving toward the screen or away from it (i.e. the character is running toward or away from the screen) than everything looks fine, but if the camera is moving sideways (in a horizontal direction) than vertical lines in the scenery don't line up and there is a "jiterriness" that's really annoying. This is really evident in scenes with "busy" graphics like in town where everything has vertical lines -- like houses, windows, shop signs etc... Turning on V-synch doesn't help -- either in PCSX2 settings or directly in Nvidia control panel.

Also, I'm seeing a weird vertical ripple effect that appears against distant, background textures, like the mountains that you can see in the distance during certain areas. This is a minor thing, and only really noticeable in certain areas, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone has a solution.

Finally, I have a common problem with PCSX2 games, and it's true in Dark Cloud as well: everything will be running at full speed, but every few minutes everything "hitches" for about half-a-second before returning to full speed again. It happens in almost every game. And I'm wondering if it is a common problem. Is it a PCSX2 problem or a computer problem? It's almost like something (either PCSX2 or my computer) is hitting an error and resetting itself -- causing a millisecond delay in gameplay.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any insight offered.

--eric

Sponsored links

jitteriness is such a issue here to in dark cloud 2, or stutter sounds more correct.

i get it on both native and good settings, even though i have a powerfull computer, can`t seem to figure it out.

to the point where i get dizzy playing it.
(01-10-2014, 10:09 PM)eonxl Wrote: Hi. I have a couple of questions and comments.

My specs: Intel Quad-Core 2.6 Ghz (overclocked to 3.8 Ghz)
Memory: 8 GB DDR 1333
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 470
PCSX2 version: 1.1.0.0 r5800
PCSX2 settings: I've tried everything, but for point of reference: All default, no speedhacks, DX10: Texture filtering: ON, 8-bit Textures: ON.

I have been trying to get Dark Cloud 2 to work perfectly, and I'm almost there. I get full speed about 98% of the time. I was having extreme screen tearing that I couldn't get rid of. I finally found out that it was being caused because I had turned off "Aero" features in Windows desktop settings. Doing so causes a problem with Nvidia drivers and creates screen tearing in video files, web browsing (during scrolling) -- and especially in PCSX2 emulation. I only mention this in case someone else is searching for the same solution (took me three days to figure it out): If you are experiencing extreme screen tearing at full speed emulation, that v-sync doesn't fix, check to ensure that you have an Aero theme chosen in Windows Display preferences and ensure that "Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager" (is that a redundant name or what?) is running under "Services" in msconfig.exe. I turned these off in an effort to lessen the load on my system, but I actually created a worse problem.

So that fixed most of the screen tearing issues I was having (in Dark Cloud and other games), however I'm still getting some screen tearing and a "jitteriness" in the vertical lines of the scenery textures when I spin the camera. If the camera is moving toward the screen or away from it (i.e. the character is running toward or away from the screen) than everything looks fine, but if the camera is moving sideways (in a horizontal direction) than vertical lines in the scenery don't line up and there is a "jiterriness" that's really annoying. This is really evident in scenes with "busy" graphics like in town where everything has vertical lines -- like houses, windows, shop signs etc... Turning on V-synch doesn't help -- either in PCSX2 settings or directly in Nvidia control panel.

Also, I'm seeing a weird vertical ripple effect that appears against distant, background textures, like the mountains that you can see in the distance during certain areas. This is a minor thing, and only really noticeable in certain areas, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone has a solution.

Finally, I have a common problem with PCSX2 games, and it's true in Dark Cloud as well: everything will be running at full speed, but every few minutes everything "hitches" for about half-a-second before returning to full speed again. It happens in almost every game. And I'm wondering if it is a common problem. Is it a PCSX2 problem or a computer problem? It's almost like something (either PCSX2 or my computer) is hitting an error and resetting itself -- causing a millisecond delay in gameplay.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any insight offered.

--eric

First of all change to DX11. It is faster and fixes bugs compared to DX10.
If you have any glitches during gameplay try enabling software mode (F9) Sometimes it helps.
For the jitteriness try checking the interlacing modes : Config>Video>Interlacing try chaning the modes see if that helps.
For the "Hitches" if you are running straight from the disc you should making an ISO using software such as imgburn. If you are running from an ISO you might wanna check your temps while playing using something such Coretemp or Realtemp to see if your CPU is throttling.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(01-10-2014, 11:11 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: First of all change to DX11. It is faster and fixes bugs compared to DX10.
If you have any glitches during gameplay try enabling software mode (F9) Sometimes it helps.
For the jitteriness try checking the interlacing modes : Config>Video>Interlacing try chaning the modes see if that helps.
For the "Hitches" if you are running straight from the disc you should making an ISO using software such as imgburn. If you are running from an ISO you might wanna check your temps while playing using something such Coretemp or Realtemp to see if your CPU is throttling.

Oops! I meant DX11, not 10. (Edited my OP.) The new version of PCSX2 doesn't even have a DX10 option anymore I don't think... And I've tried the different interlacing modes. Sawtooth seems to help the most, although you do get the "sawtooth" interlacing issues... I even tried changed my monitor to interlacing mode, but no luck....

Oh, and I am running it from an ISO already. I always make an ISO before I use it with PCSX2....
PCSX2 will have a DX10 option if for instance your card supports DX10 but not DX11.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(01-11-2014, 03:34 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: PCSX2 will have a DX10 option if for instance your card supports DX10 but not DX11.

Ah. I only realized that at some point the DX10 option disappeared for me and a DX11 option appeared! (the DX9 option is still available though...)..