Dark Cloud 2 & low res 2D..?
Anyone know if this is a settings issue or a limitation of the emulator..?

I've tried all kinds of different plugins/settings & regardless of the resolution/scaling all the 2D stuff (incl menu's etc) is extremely pixelated/low res, all the 3D stuff is perfectly fine.

I'm using v1.1.0

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
8GB DDR3
i7 920 DO @ 4.4GHz
GTX 670 Windforce 3x (x2)

Thanks.

Sponsored links

(08-02-2013, 07:34 PM)miseryguts Wrote: Anyone know if this is a settings issue or a limitation of the emulator..?

I've tried all kinds of different plugins/settings & regardless of the resolution/scaling all the 2D stuff (incl menu's etc) is extremely pixelated/low res, all the 3D stuff is perfectly fine.

I'm using v1.1.0

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
8GB DDR3
i7 920 DO @ 4.4GHz
GTX 670 Windforce 3x (x2)

Thanks.

No software can upscale conventional graphics, sorry. Best you can do is apply some filtering to avoid the pixelation, but that could turn them blurry.
(08-02-2013, 08:29 PM)Coornio Wrote: No software can upscale conventional graphics, sorry. Best you can do is apply some filtering to avoid the pixelation, but that could turn them blurry.

C'est la vie.. bit of a shame (and sticks out like a sore thumb) when everything else looks really great.. maybe in another 10 or so years there will be a solution for this

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think it's a limitation of the program... The 2D aspects are pre-rendered, right? Or something like that? I'm curious now, this is interesting to me.
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770 - XFX build
(08-02-2013, 08:58 PM)browndj3 Wrote: The 2D aspects are pre-rendered, right?

Nope.. pretty sure they aren't pre-rendered in this game
Those are textures, just like any other picture. What you want to do would be like trying to take high-res detailed pictures of the Moon with a VGA camera, it just can't happen, or at least not yet. Basically, the emulator doesn't know how to create the info needed for better resolution/quality of the 2D textures, and it doesn't have it.
(08-02-2013, 09:13 PM)miseryguts Wrote: Nope.. pretty sure they aren't pre-rendered in this game

I... a... j... wa.... *shakes head*

2D artwork by it's nature is "pre rendered" unless it's vectorized. Nothing 2D on the PS2 is vectorized (why would it need to be? The games were never designed with scaling in mind).

What you're suggesting would be the same as if you took the Mona Lisa, put a magnifying glass to it and expected to see painted represenations of her skin cells. No amount of futuristic mechanism is ever going to be able to create detail where there is none.

The only solution would be if the devs decided to allow for custom textures to be applied to their games (ala most N64 emulators and Dolphin). But that would be a pretty significant project to undertake... and even then you'd have to get someone to manually recreate every texture/menu in HD and disperse it online. Once again, there won't ever be a magic setting that can automate such a task.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(08-02-2013, 11:11 PM)Koji Wrote: I... a... j... wa.... *shakes head*

2D artwork by it's nature is "pre rendered" unless it's vectorized. Nothing 2D on the PS2 is vectorized (why would it need to be? The games were never designed with scaling in mind).

What you're suggesting would be the same as if you took the Mona Lisa, put a magnifying glass to it and expected to see painted represenations of her skin cells. No amount of futuristic mechanism is ever going to be able to create detail where there is none.

The only solution would be if the devs decided to allow for custom textures to be applied to their games (ala most N64 emulators and Dolphin). But that would be a pretty significant project to undertake... and even then you'd have to get someone to manually recreate every texture/menu in HD and disperse it online. Once again, there won't ever be a magic setting that can automate such a task.

Thank you for the edification sir.. Your incredulity is duly noted!
Have you tried "Texture filtering" at GSDX plugin? It has 3 stages, none, semi (you see a small square) and full (the v mark).

Everybody has a bit of reason, upscale can't increase detail but can increase the smoothness, the filtering does the same but the price is increased blur, in a way is what the TV (mainly the old CRTs) does, hence it masks the pixelation which unavoidably appears when displaying low resolution source in high resolution monitors, the pixelation becoming greatly highlighted if stretching to full screen.

Almost all emulators for previous consoles use some kind of filtering technique to smooth the 2D textures, PCSX2 provides one also.
Imagination is where we are truly real