Desktop or Laptop for college?
Desktop: i5-650m @ 3.2ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (1gb dedicated)
4gb DDR3

Laptop : i3-330m @ 2.13ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5145 (512mb dedicated)
4gb DDR3

Price for both: 600 pounds, or $930.6

Pros for laptop: Portability. Can be taken to class and such. But oh wait, I already have a netbook that's good for basic applications/internet/portability when needed.

Pros for desktop: Obviously muuuch better for the price, not as easily stolen as someone else mentioned to me, and easy to make upgrades to in the future.

What have you guys/would you guys do?

Sponsored links

I would choose laptop.Its easier to manage
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
desktop for sure (cause you got a netbook also) but for 930$ those parts dont seem that good....
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
he has a netbook? oh that mean desktop...netbook no good Laugh
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
Aha, yes, I can use my netbook for the basics, notes/facebook and such. And I'm buying it in pounds, I'm sure in England computer parts are more expensive, like everything else in this country.
still i think you can take something better with that money. try buying every part yourself and not a packet or something like that.
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Yap you're being ripped with that price, you could get much better part if you pick the part yourself.
Mmm yeah, after doing the research, (looking up every piece on amazon, and looking at alternatives) with british prices, I'm honestly not losing that much money. Even if I am getting ripped, I'm fine with buying it predone.

Thanks for all your advice, after thinking about it, I suppose I won't be getting a laptop, and I'll get a desktop instead.
With that gpu forget about HD and AA though, and you'll be severely limited in pc gaming. Though maybe that's a good thing for college student? ;p
(07-27-2010, 01:22 PM)Sovereign Wrote: Mmm yeah, after doing the research, (looking up every piece on amazon, and looking at alternatives) with british prices, I'm honestly not losing that much money. Even if I am getting ripped, I'm fine with buying it predone.

i dont see why getting ripped is a good thing.... you can use better quality/performance products at the same price = your money will get invested better and not just thrown away...